1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom Joyrider VR setup (WIP) with Star Wars POC

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by XennialAdrift, Oct 10, 2018.

1. XennialAdrift

XennialAdrift New Member

Balance:
    31Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Joyrider
    Hi all, very new to all of this, so I'm not sure whether this will be of any interest to anyone seeing as there are some spectacular projects here.

I was unsure whether to post this in the DIY or VR section, but the Joyrider is the star of the show, so I'll settle here (mods - please move this if it's in the wrong section.)

Anyway, here are some shots of my take on the classic Joyrider, which I've dubbed "Winona".

20181010_182802.jpg

You'll see that she's made from U-PVC for extra strength, and has dual-plate castors (dual-race) rather than the modified castors in the instructions.

20181010_182815.jpg 20181010_182827.jpg

The seat is very low-tech, as you can see, but its comfortable and does the job (many thanks to my wife for quickly whipping up some foam seat/back pads.) It's still a work-in-progress, so the headrest will be added at a later date.

I modified an old, but very comfortable 90's joystick and rewired the internals so that button presses are registered via USB.

20181010_182919.jpg

I mounted a Vive controller to the frame for motion-tracking
    20181010_182850.jpg

Which leads me to the proof of concept I've been working on. But first a little background; I was born in the early 80's, and was, of course, a huge Star Wars fan - Especially the Atari arcade cab. Over the years I have come to accept that I'll likely never own one, so I decided to do the next best thing (in my eyes,) which was to make my own update using modern high(ish) end VR equipment.

It's very much a proof-of-concept at the moment and obviously I'd never think of releasing it at the risk of angering the vast team of lawyers working for the House of Mouse. The following video is awful quality (as I can't seem to find the original HD version,) and a bit out of date in terms of functionality. But the battery is flat for my TPCast, so an updated clip will have to wait I'm afraid:

I was very hesitant to demo this seeing as it's not even what us devs would term "pre-Alpha". But I've a lot of work at the moment and it could be well into next year before I get to work on it further, but I've worked hard on it and someone may get some inspiration to do something better.

Cheers.
    XA

Equipment used:

Joyrider (custom heavy duty "Winona" variant)
    Ryzen 1700
    GTX1080 ti
    HTC Vive
    Hardlight suit
    TPCast wireless VR adaptor
    USB-joystick pcb
    • Like Like x 2
  2. XennialAdrift

XennialAdrift New Member

Balance:
    31Coins
    Ratings: