1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

iRacing: Just earned my Class D Licence! Finally out of Rookie Class!!

Discussion in 'Virtual Racing League' started by Historiker, May 22, 2014.

1. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    I never, I repeat, NEVER have to drive the Mazda MX-5 again! :D

Ok, so I make it sound harder than it really is. I have yet to really become comfortable with the MX-5 Mazda on any course so I have only entered four races and that is all it took to get out of Rookie class. The Spec Racer Ford is Soooo much easier to handle and fun to run and of course this opens up new courses that I can race on (er...after purchase of course, lol).

Me Sooooo Happy! :cool:
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,887Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,083 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    :thumbs well done Historiker!

As soon as I build my pedals, you'll show me your driving skills!
  3. jem45472

jem45472 Active Member

Balance:
    97Coins
    Ratings:
    +95 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    I'm still new to sim racing and thinking about joining iracing maybe next year. Gotta learn all the rules and such first.

Since I started sim racing after I built my motion platform, I won't play without motion. Just feels lifeless.

Do you feel racing with motion against others without puts you at a disadvantage?
    I have some aggressive profiles and the bumps and dips definitely toss me around a bit, but just can't envision racing without it.
  4. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    Skills? I don't have any! That is why I am so happy to be out of Rookie Class :D lol

Jem, I think that it does. I have a better feel for the road and how far I can push my car before I get out of control. My Axis are not in use right now and last nights race was a little more hairy because of that. I am redoing my electronics housing, etc. Getting it ready to move into the house (my Man Cave) :D

You can join iRacing pretty cheap, I think it is something like 12.00USD for three months and all the rookie class tracks and cars are included. What I like is that there is always someone to race with no matter what time you jump in, and the Safety Rating rules really keeps the griefers out.
  5. Scratch

Scratch Active Member

Balance:
    281Coins
    Ratings:
    +181 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I started iRacing about half a year ago. I drove it a couple of months VERY intensively, and at the end started to drive Skip Barber class, which is very fun car to drive. Then I just stopped... For about two months. Now, getting back behind the wheel and picking up the speed is hard... Now I'm relearning with the Mazda MX-5, which is actually more fun than I remembered. But I'm sure Oculus Rift and my early seat proto, no matter if still motionless, make it more enjoyable.

Planning to attempt qualifying and maybe even a race this evening at Laguna Seca. Corckscrew is one of the scariest corners ever when racing in a tight pack...
  6. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    I completely agree, you get the sense of weightlessness coming off the top corner and of course you cannot see the road at all! :eek:

I found a good turn reference (the two trees straight across) and that really helped with that nightmare ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Scratch

Scratch Active Member

Balance:
    281Coins
    Ratings:
    +181 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Yup, using the same reference :)
  8. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Well done @Historiker.
    Im still a rookie.
    Don't get enough time on it, 4 races to graduate, very well done.
  9. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    Class C was a cake walk, I have been hesitating to enter Class B races as I do not want to buy another car.
  10. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Im close to C now in Oval class, Cool ya been doing well, yes the bugger of buying new content as you move up.
    Not too dear but models and track they do are worth paying for if you have the time to put into racing.
  11. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    I agree completely. So far I have not begrudged the cost of tracks, there is a great deal of work that goes into them, but I have been enjoying the Spec Racer Ford so much that I do not see a reason to move up to any other car...yet ;)

Unfortunately I am not using my motion pit anymore and it is messing me up :D Every time the car goes into a turn I lean my body that way as if the chair were moving! lol
    • Like Like x 1