1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Ioni/Simucube direct drive build

Discussion in 'Direct Drive Wheels' started by Johnk88, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Johnk88

Johnk88 New Member

Balance:
    81Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Long time lurker finally registering/posting!

I have had a Thrustmaster TX for the last 3 years but for the last year it has started having calibration issues requiring software before every use. then started losing force feedback after a few laps.

Deciding it was time for a change i decided to go down the direct drive route and read several threads on here so find out what i needed.

This is my old wheel/rig. I will build an 80/20 rig in the future but for now this have have to do for the direct drive wheel. hopefully it's sturdy enough!
    Thrustmaster.jpg

I went straight to Lisa at Mige and got the M130ST-M10010 + cables.
    Mige.jpg

I bought Ioni pro hc/Simucube/320w psu from Granite. I seen people recommend a 600w psu for oc-ing. but i dont think i'll go that far so got the 320w.
    Other parts.jpg

For the case i also contacted Granite but they didn't have any in stock/did not plan on getting any in stock any time soon. They did however tell me the files were on the Simucube wiki which was very helplful.
    I converted the files to stl. so they could be 3D printed.
    Case2.jpg

Case1.jpg

This is where i am now. still 3D printing the case parts. hopefully by the end of tomorrow all the parts will be printed and i will have the wiring done as well. the sleeve between the psu and simucube are also 3d printed but i think i need to shorten them? it seems quite high.
    Build.jpg

Looking forward to getting it built and get racing again.
    Thanks to everyone before who made a build thread/faq. they all helped a lot!.

John
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Johnk88

Johnk88 New Member

Balance:
    81Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I do have one question hopefully someone can answer. regards to the 3D printed case. how hot will it likely get inside? the PLA i am printing with might not like it very much..
  3. Johnk88

Johnk88 New Member

Balance:
    81Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Perks of living alone in a foreign country is that you can spend new year finishing off your steering wheel!

got it all up and running. happy with how the 3D printed Simucube case came out.

need to do some tweaking on iRacing. i normally drive Formula Renault 2.0 but couldn't get a good balance of strength/feel. probably going to download and try IRFFB tomorow.

Anyway some pictures! (i never know to upload these full or thumbnails!?)

Playseat for a few months until i buy a 80/20 rig. seems fine so far
    IMG_20200101_235951.jpg

3D simucube case (going to buy a USB extension tomorrow)
    IMG_20200102_000022.jpg

Made a hole to see led status lights
    IMG_20200102_000052.jpg

Carbon wrap on the e-stop. looks a little less industrial now.
    IMG_20200102_000121.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Racerr87

Racerr87 New Member

Balance:
    6Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Very nice build!

Can you post the link of the enclosure files on there wiki i cant find them, thanks
  5. Johnk88

Johnk88 New Member

Balance:
    81Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Yes no problem. the link is here and you will see the PDF and IGS files. I can upload the STL files up to Thingiverse when i get home from work.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Racerr87

Racerr87 New Member

Balance:
    6Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks the DXF file will do fine as iam using my cnc router, dont have a printer :(
  7. paytufo

paytufo New Member

Balance:
    155Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    How much money did you pay for the motor and cables?