1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

i have some cuestions about the connections

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by jmb racing, Oct 15, 2009.

1. jmb racing

jmb racing New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello, I´m Jorge, from Spain.

I´m going to build a cockpit with frex actuators and x-sim software. How I must connect the actuators to the usb adaptor and to the power supply? Are they needed the resistance and the z diode and how i can connect?

Thanks and good-bye.
  2. jmb racing

jmb racing New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, but I read the post that you put and it says that he doesn´t put the z diode and later it says that is very important. They are opposite thinks.
  3. jmb racing

jmb racing New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For example in the first photo I don´t see any z diode, a resistance and the kill switch.

Here He says that he doesn´t use a z diode Also I have not equiped the zener diodes, because no electrical mismatch can work here.
    And here he says that is very important to use a zener diode and a resitance The ILK protection is very important, insert Z-Diode and resistor
  4. jmb racing

jmb racing New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, thanks. And where is teh ILK circuit?

And I repeat this sentence For example in the first photo I don´t see any z diode, a resistance and the kill switch. Where are there?
  5. Senetor

Senetor Member

Balance:
    594Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It's in the fifth photo down the page, it is the one that looks like it has a big red mushroom in it
    Here's a copy of it.
    SCN5 connection diagram with killswitch and ilk protection.GIF

Senetor.
  6. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    It should be noted that this design results in an emergency stop and hold! This means that when you hit the emergency stop, the actuators stop, and forcibly hold their position. This might make sense for industrial purposes, but IMHO, it makes no sense for consumer use. Imagine a small child being pinched by your simulator....you press the emergency stop....now the actuators just forcibly hold the child in the pinched position. This seems rather foolish to me.

An easier method, with no diodes required is to size your power supply properly and get a kill switch that will kill the power to the power supply. If you have the right power supply, this will result in a safer, simpler system that is less likely to cause actuator damage.
  7. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I agree with Bernard. At first I assumed that the ILK kill switch would totally disable the actuators and allow you to manually move them but this is not the case. I do like to have the ability to stop the actuators without totally disabling them however, so I will be keeping the ILK kill switch and also installing a relay to disable the power going to the power supply via another switch.

....Mike
  8. jmb racing

jmb racing New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    In a Spanish forum they say to connect like this:
    [​IMG]
    This is the actuator connection to the power supply. The black and gray wires go directly, there isn't anything in the middle.
    I'm going to use this conector:
    [​IMG]

And this is the actuator connection to the usb adaptor: (The wire that I've drawn in yellow is white)
    [​IMG]
    And the adaptor is this: [​IMG]

How can I connecto the two resistors and the z diode? Please draw in my picture and thanks
  9. jmb racing

jmb racing New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Please help

Thanks.