1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

How to simulate kerbs?

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by Thread, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Thread

Thread Member

Balance:
    295Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    I have set 5DOFs to the 2 axes, but there seems to be no way to simulate kerbs vibration.
    The motors definitely could do such vibrations.
    But the plugin does not provide it. Maybe the chassis does not vibrate enough, according to the simulator [AC] engine, but in real life there is big vibration when on the kerbs.
    The gamepad vibrates perfectly, but that is a special command to the vibra motor.
    We should have a vibration DOF, maybe the game engine, and the plugin should provide this.
    Some systems use buttkickers, but how they drive them?
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Heave provides kerb forces
    Just put in heave on its own, set at about 20%, then work with tuning centre numbers.
    heave tuning centre number can go as low as 0.01. Try that, go slowly around the track over kerbs, re-adjust the number till you get what you want.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Pit

Pit - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Gold Contributor

Balance:
    30,415Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Kerbs are rather difficult to reproduce, the motors have to shake very fast and this may be is to heavy for them :) My winches would be fast enough but for better immersion I use bass shakers.
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I get kerb effects from my DC motors and also the actuators, but again as @Pit says, it may be motor issue.
    Just spend time with heave force only and run on a few tracks to get it right
  5. Thread

Thread Member

Balance:
    295Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    I have set heave, and played with it a bit, [only yaw is left out] but the only good way seems to be the gamepad's way, a dedicated vibra signal.
    >>>for better immersion I use bass shakers<<<

how do you get the signal?
    I could get it from the xbox controller, [though the recent version of AC uses it to simulate rev vibration with that motor as well]

Would be difficult to place a buttkicker.
    My old seat is a massage seat, with vibra motors, i drove them with the signal from the controller, under forza4 the kerbs were fantastic, perfect.
    The plugin should have been able to extract the gamepad's command, and simtools should convert it to vibration.
    Or the game itself should provide a vibration channel, all of the above can hold true, if the wiper motors are able to give it back.
    But when i slowly drive on the kerbs, there is also almost nothing, even with heave. Sometimes they produce heavy vibrations, like in AC when the velocity is almost zero, there is a clutch thing.
  6. Thread

Thread Member

Balance:
    295Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    How to simply disable all the others? Maybe i will make a new profile.
  7. Thread

Thread Member

Balance:
    295Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    I mean the motors can produce bone braking vibrations, with surely enough frequency for slow kerbs.
    But with a clever solution the program could use slower frequency for the fast kerbs as well.
    But this is just dreaming for now.
    By the way, can the plugin get the speed value?
  8. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    Feel kerbs, road effects fine on my JRK setup, it can be a function of the PID settings (how well it tracks the target).
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Thread

Thread Member

Balance:
    295Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    I have absolutely no vibration on kerbs, the telemetry does not contain the vibration, i am sure.
    I have set heave, it seem to help at road bumps, making them more real.
    Kerb vibration would need some trick, artificially mixing to the telemetry data, or using buttkickers, driven from the controller or wheel.

another thing, AC should have telemetry work under replay [cockpit view], so that simtools could work under replay.

yet another thing, Some armco barrier collision feels right under simtools, some are almost completely missing.
    Seems like a problem with the track's map.
  11. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, hate to say it, It seems ard users cannot get road vibrations like JRK users.
    Its been an issue for ages and unless someone can get a code to match a JRK, its not going to happen. If you want fine detail, you need to use JRKS.
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  12. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,574Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    As bsft stated, heave is all you need to get road bumps and vibrations. But it is also matters how well your rig is balanced and how much power you have to move it as well. If you reduce the heave numbers in the tuning center to a very low number, and still don't feel anything, then something in your set up is incapable of reproducing those higher frequency movements imho.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks @BlazinH for the info. Also as I said,
    Heave provides kerb forces
    Just put in heave on its own, set at about 20%, then work with tuning centre numbers.
    If you start to feel vibrations, up the percentage of the force. I know in Dirt3, I have mine at 63% at 0.5. I simply cannot get the heave I like at lower than that set percentage in that game on that simulator.
    heave tuning centre number can go as low as 0.01. Try that, go slowly around the track over kerbs, re-adjust the number till you get what you want.
  14. Thread

Thread Member

Balance:
    295Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    So you suggest to set very low numbers in tuning centre, thus making heave extremely sensitive, i will try that.
    But it will go to saturation if a kerb is not levelled, but inclined. So i guess i will get vibrations only on totally levelled kerbs.
    The PID in SMC3 is fast enough i am sure, i use it on 400, the max is 1000, but there the movement becomes choppy.
    Anyways, 4000 PID calculations per sec. The less than 10cm movement is divided to 1024 parts, so 0.1mm resolution, there is no bottleneck, nor at the power.
    So if you feel kerbs vibrating, i should also with low tuning centre numbers, but try the vibrations in eau rouge!
    Are they still there?

Do you use Assetto Corsa? [for the other questions about replay and armco]
  15. Pit

Balance:
    30,415Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    This is the response of a Arduino snoob - sorry I hate to say that...I will you show a video of very aggressive settings showing the rig shaking while driving over the curbs. I think most users are not confident with the potential of the software generally so the problem is more the user as the the code or drivers.
  16. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok @Pit , you got me there. Your rig is the most responsive I have seen with arduino, so I apologise.
    Several of us have suggested over and over how to set a profile, so either the instructions are not being followed or something is just amiss.
    @Thread , I use AC on my sim and I get road vibration as well as kerb and ripple strip effects.
    Again, start from the beginning with each force and each set of tuning centre numbers, work ONE AT A TIME with each force and numbers until you get each one sorted.
    I found I got some kerb effects from surge for instance.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Pit

Balance:
    30,415Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Here I have to precise - in AC kerbs are well vibrating but strips do not. Perhaps this could be an issue but IMO the rig will be too nervous at all for that reason I use bass shakers. The (higher) kerbs are very well designed for our simulations, AC racer will and should feel every little kerb.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  18. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Crap, got me stuck there. I will do some runs on AC when I can and experiment to see.
  19. Thread

Thread Member

Balance:
    295Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Let's clarify, i may have used wrong word, but of course under "kerbs" i meant "ripple strip", On a track, every kerb is a ripple strip.
    So i want ripple, rumble, from ripple strips.
    If i set heave to be extra sensitive, to feel ripple strips, does that make the rig too nervous?
    [and what about saturation on non levelled strips]

i don't understand, because in a real car, there is BIG vibration on a ripple strip, and with normal values, there is NOTHING of it under simtools, though road surface bumps are all there.
    [even there are bumps with the rig, where there is no visible head movement in the cockpit, while i set this to a 3x value, so i should see every bump, based on the movement of the virtual head, the virtual point of view.]
  20. Pit

Balance:
    30,415Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    @Thread, please post your specs (complete hardware, all settings and values, make screen shots) and please upload a video showing your rig in action. With all this information I probably can help you, but w/o no support hardly realizable.
    • Agree Agree x 3