1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

How to power Winch Motors

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by stowaway, Mar 25, 2012.

1. stowaway

stowaway New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Eventually I will power my winch motors with car batteries, But for testing purposes I want something I can plug in..

Is it possible to power the winch motors with a computer PSU or will that just blow it up?
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It will not blow up the psu, just overload it. Just for reference, you may want at psu of at least 30amps peak for one motor, to be sure.
    Either use a computer psu rated fairly high in the 12v rail or buy a proper benchtop psu. I have used both, without battery and now with battery. Its cheaper with a good psu and a big arse battery. Just my opinion anyway.
    :thbup:
  3. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Yes mate, you are damn right.
    I am speaking about my 3dof, where a motor have to work over the classical 2dof push, having to do a lift and a push on an hard spring too.

At the moment I leaving the 2 parallel car batteries (after the advice by pololu forum) for a more secure 1 battery for each motors.
    But I lost one of my 3 batteries so I need to use my switcher PSU 220v --> 12v 20Amps max for one of the 3 motors (the behind motor).

here the info and pic:
    http://www.shopmania.it/case/p-alimenta ... a-18288808

And to have 20amps is sure a bit less than what I need to have a perfectly stable power alimentation.
    30Amps minimum should be the start point to have not over request amps.
    With 20Amps I can listen a disturbing hiss when my motor is suffering and some times I got my motor that for some moments ceases to be fed from the PSU because the psu get an over amps ask.
  4. stowaway

stowaway New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Will my little 16amp PSU be okays for testing?

I just want to use it for getting my Arduino PWM working, so it wont be running long or under any weight..

Or will it just overload straight away?
  5. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If the motor is unloaded , you should be ok, only one way to find out!
  6. stowaway

stowaway New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    it works.

BOY are they LOUD.... I'll have to put them in some sort of casing.