1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question how to install these thread inserts - SFX-100

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by cheezefrog, Sep 23, 2022.

1. cheezefrog

cheezefrog New Member

Balance:
    105Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I seem to have received different thread inserts for my SFX-100 extrusion pieces. From the info on the internet, these are ones I have not seen from other builds and appear to be a pita to install. They appear to be oversized from the extrusion bore holes and do not align at all, nor can you install them based on the extrusion hole diameter or with an allen. Should I drill the holes oversized and if so, what drill bit size is adequate? From my measurements, they're m12x1.5 exterior and m10x1.5 interior. Lastly, based on how the thread insert is sitting in the picture (top with slit) I assume is the correct insert method of installing? Where the slit is, they're tapered smaller vs. the bottom.

Attached Files:

2. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    you need to tap a thread into the material and screw it in
  3. cheezefrog

cheezefrog New Member

Balance:
    105Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I used a 12x1.5 tap and chamfered/counter sunk the hole a bit but to hardly much success. I even took a sharp file to all 4 sides and filed in tiny starter marks (not sure how else to do that).

I was able to get one inserted, but it just didnt seem right and took hours. These thread inserts are not wanting to bite at all and incredibly difficult to start. The one thread insert I got in, I ended up flipping the insert around.

It seems like I almost need to drill the holes out larger with either a 27/64 or 13/32" drill bit.

Attached Files:

4. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    The hole needs to be drilled to a correct size before you can tap it

What size is the thread size of the bolt that goes in ?
  5. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
  6. cheezefrog

cheezefrog New Member

Balance:
    105Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    From the kit AMY sent me are as followed:

M10x40 bolts - 32 units
    Invoice sheet just says "Thread Inserts"

I am pretty certain the thread inserts are M10 interior and M12x1.5 exterior which is the tap I used. However, after I used a tap, the thread inserts still will not thread in, which is why I counter sunk the holes a bit, but hardly any success with doing so. It is why I suspect I actually just need to oversize the holes without the need to tap them at all, since they are self tapping inserts.
  7. cheezefrog

cheezefrog New Member

Balance:
    105Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I came across similar info as well on the net, the charts all have M12x1.25 or M12x1.75, but skip M12x1.5 which is what I have measured. I've triple checked them and the threads are definitely M12x1.5 as is the tap I used. :confused:

Attached Files:

8. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    if these actuators are new, you should contact the manufacturer about the problem