1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

How many DOF and how many degrees of movement for satisfying flight sim

Discussion in 'Other Flight Simulation Games' started by Spit40, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Spit40

Spit40 VR Flyer

Balance:
    2,881Coins
    Ratings:
    +198 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    I'm using Aerofly FS2 in Oculus CV1 (which looks great) and looking to add motion sim. The x-simulator advice page suggests flightsim requires 6DOF and lots of travel or even DreamFlyer type manual stuff, but that's either very expensive or complicated or both (and dreamflyer which looks neat doesn't work with a yoke).

Would a 2DOF platform with 15 degrees movement feel worth the trouble or would it ultimately be unsatisfying?

Thanks.
  2. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    Since satisfaction is a personal thing nobody can tell you if you would be unsatisfied with a 2dof. My opinion though is while a 6dof is the ultimate for a flight simulator something is better than nothing. It's really a matter of your budget and how much time you want to spend building a rig as well as your abilities to do so.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  3. Spit40

Spit40 VR Flyer

Balance:
    2,881Coins
    Ratings:
    +198 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Thanks. I'm actually a bit confused about what 6DOF gives you more than 2DOF. Can't a 2DOF move you from one position to another the same as a 6DOF could, just a bit less smooth maybe? I suppose a 6DOF can simulate a very small amount of yaw, but otherwise its just a about tilting side to side, front and back and lifting up and down. Can't a 2DOF do all that?

Also regarding the 2DOF v 6DOF verses 15 degree v. >15 degree issue, I've been told that increasing the DOF gives much more benefit that going beyond 15 degrees. Opinions welcomed.
  4. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    A 6dof allows a platform to move to any location in space that's within its perimeters. A 2dof can only pitch and roll on a fixed point in space or surge and sway on a flat plane.
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  5. bruce stephen

bruce stephen Hammer doesnt fix it, must be electrical

general contractor
    Balance:
    9,110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,237 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    2 dof sims provide plenty of immersion and can be tuned to effectively fool the brain. A 2dof takes up a lot less space also. that said there a few effects a 2dof cannot perform. first is SWAY or a side to side movement. second is HEAVE or up and down. lastly YAW or Traction Loss. A 2 dof does pretty good at simulating surge although they usually just dump you forward rather than the whole rig moving. If you are looking for more info on the 6 dof try searching for "stewart platform". Also a 2dof can be built for considerably less than a 6dof(exceptions of course).

2dof motion is fun and I dont feel my 2dof build was anything less than fun. definitely not unsatisfying.
  6. Spit40

Spit40 VR Flyer

Balance:
    2,881Coins
    Ratings:
    +198 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Thanks, that's helpful. I've pretty much got my head around the mechanics of a typical 2DOF now, and how that could be extended with yaw and potentially surge. The octopus like thing, which you've now given me a name for, seems to be a completely different approach though and looks a lot more complicated and mechanically challenging. I can see how its suited to flight though as it doesn't get thrashed like a driving platform would. However, based on the reassurance I'm getting that 2DOF is still very enjoyable for flight, I think I've decided to take the Dynkit from Radioproffi. It's a nice small footprint starter, and then I can add some extra DOF myself over time.
    • Like Like x 2