1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question How are my SimCalc values for a starter motion Sim rig

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by Douglas_couto, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Douglas_couto

Douglas_couto New Member

Balance:
    41Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Good afternoon Guys, Cheers from Brazil

upload_2021-6-8_15-25-16.png I am on the starting steps for building a sim Rig on my own, i have read the FAQ (you guys have a whole library in there, thanks a lot), and now i am in the experimental phase

I bought an Arduino uno R3, an Ibt-2 and a motor so i can start fiddling with the electrical stuff, they should be coming in the mail soon. Meanwhile i am dealing with the mechanical part

upload_2021-6-8_15-25-16.png
    This is the retired chassi and seat of a Formula Student, that i will be using, it weights around 28kg

The main question here, as the title says is, wich parameters are ok on my Simcalc Assumptions

upload_2021-6-8_15-26-50.png

The pivot points distances were measured on the chassi cad, so should be ok, i played with the numbers today and i guess this is a good result, (But at the end of the day i really dont know)

So i would like to discuss with you guys.

As far as i know

- The efficiencies are OK
    - Roll rotation is high compared with pitch rotation (I guess both of these should be around the same value)

I am unsure on my CLC lenght, and Max angle values. And reaaaally open for more insights from you guys if there are any noob mistakes i am making

Motor specs:

- 82 Rpm
    - 35 n*m max torque
    - 12V

Idk if it is useful info, but i plan to make a 2Dof + traction loss :)

Tks in advance
  2. alexdraco

alexdraco Member

Balance:
    278Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Ciao,
    I have not used this software.
    But in the three data that you summarize:
    - 82 Rpm
    - 35 n * m max torque
    - 12V
    the gearmotor power expressed in Watt is missing. (which you will need to determine your electrical system)

Also I see you consider the frame weight calculation (fantastic) 28Kg. but I don't see the weight of the pilot?
    I would like to follow the progress of your project.
    A little advice: go overboard with gearmotors, I can tell you that the gearmotors of my sim, after hours of use, heat up very very little.

I hope google translator's english is understandable!
  3. Douglas_couto

Douglas_couto New Member

Balance:
    41Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Grazie compagno

And yes, by specsheet the gearmotor power is 240W (20A and 12V)

For driver weight i am oversizing, thinking about around 150kg overall (driver+chassi+stuff), maybe 200kg

But idk where to take weight in account, i guess "Pitch force" would have to do with it? But since most of the weight in a 2DOF system is taken by the central pivot the motors would be used only for lateral and longitudinal acceleration?
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  4. alexdraco

alexdraco Member

Balance:
    278Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Ciao,
    in my opinion the gear motor you have chosen is fine.
    From personal experience and from what I have been able to learn in this forum and also for logic, the moving part will be pivoted in the center of gravity in such a way that the movements can count on the maximum reaction of your gear motors. In practice, the gearmotors must overcome the moment of inertia. In my case with 200Kg. mass, position and dimension of the pin (joint) in the center of gravity, the upper position and length of the levers resulted in an approximate calculation of 74Kg.m2. (for this calculation I used an online software) The lever length operated by the gearmotor will also affect the final calculation of the suitable motor.
    In all honesty, i enjoyed myself and learned more or less how to determine the correct gearmotor, but the hypothesis thought out without making calculations was the same as the calculation. I had already set out to install i63 gear motors - 230W-12V-16A and so I did. All the movements seem reactive to me.
    Note: This is my first sym and I trust you that I should have made a 3 DOF right away.
    If you are interested in the discussion we can deepen, even if your frame is different, it has many similarities (layout) with what I did and on a 2 DOF a defect occurred to me that I do not like.
    Ciao
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2021