1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

hi all, some newbie questions..sorry

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by hubs, Sep 28, 2010.

1. hubs

hubs New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well what started as me looking for a nice wheel for gt5 has turned in to me sketching out designs for my rig lol, some of the stuff on here is inspirational! amazing work. i intend on going down the sim experience/ frex style road but have some questions, whats the name of the aluminium sections you all seem to build out of? and why do most people keep the wheel and pedals static in relation to the seat, loading on scn5's? i really dont like the idea of me moving around and my pedals not! and finally is there any off the shelf solution for controlling wiper motors like thanos uses? i have plenty of experience with rc helicopters and work in construction but when i look at the electronics in his threads i may as well be looking up a cow's arse lol, a bit beyond me! i like the thought of doing it on the cheap but the actuators seem so easy for a fool like me.
    thanks for any advice.
  2. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Try looking for t-slot aluminium extrusions. There are different types and sizes that can be cut to any length.

The idea of wheel/pedal being stationary is that G-Forces will be simulated through muscle tension, and not by applying the actual forces to your body. The other reason is mechanical balance and reducing the mass that moves, which result in a more responsive system and extended actuator life.

You can never go wrong with the SimXperience Starter Kit, just plug it in, set it up and you have motion.
    Your only worries will be constructing the platform. In a seat mover setup the SCN5 actuators will give you the best performance you can get.

Alternatively you could try these Pololu controllers with wiper motors for a cheaper solution, but more work:
    http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1393

Depending on the wiper motors, power supply, cooling and PID tuning, you could get fairly good performance, but nothing like
    the SCN5 actuators.
  3. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Of course! Send me the layout and what beginner concepts you want to include.
  4. obisk

obisk New Member

tot suchen hier im forum
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  5. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Pololu offers some of the best documentation I've seen, read it.
  6. hubs

hubs New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi frakk, sorry for the delay in saying thank you for the advice, im working in the back of beyond with no internet!
    i have a almost endless supply of different wiper motors for free so i think thats the route i will take, would love the sim experience starter kit but by the time i get it shipped and add import tax its out of my price range really :-( after reading about the pololu controller am i right in thinking all the electronics i would need after that is potentiometers/power supply? i noticed your thread on the controller and im willing to order a couple and be the guinea pig, i will need a bit of direction though lol.
    the newbie guide would be a great idea and thank you also sirnoname for helping frakk put it together.
  7. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Good to hear!

You are right, all you will need is the potentiometers and a power supply, and maybe some other ends and pieces like cables(USB-mini), connectors and such, but that won't add too much.

Make sure to get better quality potentiometers, and big enough power supply. You could use 12V batteries parallel with a PC power supply or similar.
  8. hubs

hubs New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    cheers frakk, i have a good amount of leads and such but i wouldn't know the difference in potentiometer quality so any suggestions on that would be very helpful, i will order a single controller from activerobots.co.uk in the next few days to play with so to speak, if you can think of anything else i should order while im at it please let me know as i live in ireland and sometimes the simplist things are unavailable here, like t slot extrusion lol. i have car battery's and a couple of p.c psu lying around to get me going, all i need now is knowledge and skills :-/
    once i have the controller i will move myself over to your thread on it if you dont mind? sorry just 1 more thing, cooling? psu/controller or motors also? thanks again.
  9. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I don't know what you can buy locally, but something like this is good quality. Or you can just get a couple cheap chinese ones first, test things before you spend on quality components.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/BOURNS-10K-Ohm-CERM ... _698wt_905

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-x-B10K-10K-OHM-Li ... 1551wt_905

You can continue the controller related discussion in the other thread of course. You are going to need a cooler on the back of the controller.
    The rest of the components shouldn't heat up too much, maybe the motors after extended use. Pololu doesn't give you the USB cable so
    make sure to have that lying around too.

While you wait for your toys you can read the manual and get familiar with the software and hardware.
  10. fogbound

fogbound New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey there hubs. I am a new lurker here on this site and am blown away by the talent and ingenuity some members have. I noticed you mentioned you started looking for a wheel for GT5 and discovered this site. From what I can read (and trust me I'm not sure because I'm still exploring) the motion sims on here are being used for PC games not consoles. I hope that GT5 will be supported but have not found any info on that yet.

BTW I am very interested in your project as you are a new member as I am and want to do yours inexpensively also. I'm still trying to learn what I can by reading the info here on this great site.

Have you definately decided on which way to go? Thanos design type or other?

Hope this isn't considered hi-jacking your thread, if so my apologies.