1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Help with new project

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by iRacer, Jan 26, 2011.

1. iRacer

iRacer New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello All,

First of all, thanks to all who have shared their experiences with us. I have read every post 3 times while preparing to build a 2DOF Motion Seat. The information has inspired me!

After reading many, many post about your experiences, it has been hard to determine the best/correct components needed for a DIY 2DOF Motion Seat. Could you please help me by listing the components that I need? I only need a list of components needed for the electronic side of the system. I have already begun construction of the mechanical portions of the project (it is patterned after Bleco's, Benard's, Silly's, etc).

Again, a list of components that have worked would be a great help.
    I plan on using the SCN5's.

Thanks in advance.

iRacer - Henry
  2. Silly(c)One

Silly(c)One New Member

ex-Web & Industrial Dev/Sysadmin
    Balance:
    327Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello iRacer,

Welcome to the club :)

The electronics are quite simple for an SCN5 project. Out of my head, here's the list :
    - 2x USB<>RS485 adaptors (+- 25$ on ebay)
    - 2x resistors for the RS485 terminations (120Ohm I think, check out the RS485 cabling specs)
    - 2x RS485 connectors and 2x 14 pins power connectors for the SCN5s
    - 1x 24V 5A PSU (+- 25$ on ebay)
    - 2x resistors (220Ohm I think, check out the SCN5 Hardware thread), a diode and a kill switch (a few $ more on ebay)

Nothing fancy, the tricky part is the mechanical setup.

Cheers,
    Silly(c)One.
  3. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Electronic components?
    - 2 x SCN5's
    - 2x USB - RS485 - there are many different kinds out there, some work good, some doesn't
    - power supply - has to supply enough amps for the actuators

-or you can get a Starter Kit from SimXperience that includes everything you need, with fast and reliable RS485 adapter.
  4. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    +1 for the SimXperience starter kit. Easiest and most reliable option which will also yield the best overall performance.
  5. iRacer

iRacer New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys for the help. Henning, when are you going to release that HOW-TO document :)