1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Help Wanted - Servo and Motor Issue

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by Dreycos, May 11, 2022.

1. Dreycos

Dreycos New Member

Balance:
    110Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Hi,

I had my 4DOF SFX150 rig running and working with project cars 2 and no limits 2 roller coaster yesterday (for the first time).

Today, I tried to launch it again and the rig acted a bit strange and raised very high up and then all the server controllers threw the error AL-06 whenever I tried to move it with the SRS software (using Thanos4U controller).

I checked all the wiring and settings and then I realized that I can lower them all with the server controller's Fn002 Jo9- job function.

I lowered 3 of the motors back to the ground. The last motor will not move and displays the error message on the servo controller: Jo9-E (e meaning error I believe).

I took apart the actuator and tried just moving the motor and it throws the same error.

I read through the server controller manual and it doesn't appear to say anything about Jo9-E.

Any ideas for testing?

Right now I'm thinking the motor died (that would be a shame!!!).
  2. Thanos

Thanos Building the Future one AC Servo at a time... or 6

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,699Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
    Why you would need to manually lower the actuators?????

If you power cycle the servos, the Thanos4U controller would lower them all the way down to calibrate their home position.

Did you setup the AASD-15A drives parameters as in the manual and also did you use DB25 cables with all 25 wires in them straight through?

https://github.com/tronicgr/Thanos4U-firmware
  3. Dreycos

Dreycos New Member

Balance:
    110Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino

Thanks for the response Thanos.

The Thanos4U would no longer control the motors after they went into that very high position - it was very strange and when I tried they would make a small vibration and then all AASDs showed the AL-06 error.

I did a reset on the Thanos4U to factory settings per the manual and that didn't change anything (holding the down button and then pressing reset on the board).

I believe the servo controller that is throwing the Jo9-E error is telling me that the single motor is damaged - I'm trying to confirm (cannot find any references online).

The motor spins freely when I turn it with my hand and it locks when the AASD units are running - so it seems to behave properly.

Yes - all AASD settings were set according to the SFX100 guide / webpage.

Everything worked perfectly the first day and the Thanos4U worked plug'n'play as described --- and then it seemed that one of the actuators would not lower all the way. I tried to manually adjust the actuators within the SRS software - then they all got out of whack.
    --- finally, when I tried to move them with the Thanos4U within SRS software they threw the AL-06 error on all AASDs - this happened from that point on.

* The only way for me to work on them was to manually lower them with the Jo9--

I haven't tried testing with the Tranos4U again as I'm trying to resolve the motor J09-E issue since the motor is non-responsive.

It seems that the motor went to the upper limit and may have created too much torque - I'm really new to this so not quite sure (I've reached out to the supplier on the AASD and motor for support as well).
  4. Thanos

Thanos Building the Future one AC Servo at a time... or 6

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,699Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF

Something is wrong with your power, or you are loading too much your rig, or maybe the actuator mechanics are not well lubricated and create resistance on the slider inside?

The AL-06 is overload message, that means the motor reached above 300% of its torque levels, for several seconds before it failed with that alarm code.

AL-06_error.jpg

As for the JOG-E it means the jog function could not run as the power was not present on the IGBT circuit or the Servo Enable signal was not active

jog_meaning.jpg

Maybe check the motor power cable wiring to see if anything is loose or the aviation plugs are not tight enough...

In general its very hard to destroy these servos and servomotors. I have tested in the past several common ways that could happen, even extending the actuator beyond its limits, and never had any damage occur:

5. Dreycos

Dreycos New Member

Balance:
    110Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino

Thank you so much - I will review all the electrical wiring and the cable connections to the motor.

Since the motor is still not moving with the actuator disconnected and still throwing the Jo9-E error I'm assuming it is the power (per your suggestion).

This is very helpful and I have somewhere to look now.
  6. Dreycos

Dreycos New Member

Balance:
    110Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino

Well - problem not solved but the cause has been isolated.

The cable running to the motor from the AASD is faulty - must have got damaged somehow. I was able to switch the cabling and the motor works perfectly fine.

Much appreciated - I have reached out to the supplier to provide a replacement cable and I'm going to be ordering longer cables soon anyway.

Thanos - thanks for taking the time and providing such excellent information / support.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 12, 2022