1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Help to build my first F1 simulator

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by jgoffline, Jan 2, 2011.

1. jgoffline

jgoffline New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Gentlemen,
    I want to build my first F1 simulator, but I have no technical knowledge for me to do alone. The hardest I've ever done, the body of F1, now I want to put movement into it, if possible 4DOF (pitch, roll, yaw, heave).
    Can someone please direct me to a download for the game F1 2010 with support for three pneumatic cylinders, a rear and two front?
  2. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Welcome!

If you don't have technical knowledge to build it, I recommend you to buy already existing parts.
    Scrap pneumatic cylinders (they are useless for a racing sim), and don't do more than 2DOF for your first sim.

Read the build threads on this forum and you will have a better understanding.
    I also recommend you to check out www.simxperience.com, you can decide how much you can build, and how much you have money for.
  3. jgoffline

jgoffline New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I find SCN5 with USB?
  4. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    For SCN5 , Yes i got(purchase) my cables ready made from Egoexpress. I just buyed the actuators from America. And got cables from him and it connected very simply.

But also you need to buy the RS485 TO USB Adaptors. You need two of these.

Two cables come out of scn5. One is to go to power supply and the other is used for data which YEAH it goes eventually into a computer via USB.
  5. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    SCN5's from the factory come with RS-485 interface. You need a USB-RS485 converter for each, and you need a power supply.
    You can buy everything separately as Fahim says, no problems.

The SX-3000 has everything assembled in one box, ready to go with a single USB connector.
  6. jgoffline

jgoffline New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How I do to calibrate the movements of the SCN5 with a game F1 2010?
  7. Henning Piez

Henning Piez Member

Balance:
    17Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    But how to add 2DOF movement in such a small driver cockpit like in a F1 car?
  8. jgoffline

jgoffline New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I want to move the body of F1 - 3DOF, but I need help for that.
    I found all the hardware I need, but found nothing in software for 3 DOF to play F1 2010.
    I need help!
  9. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Dont mind about the software. X-Sim is able to deliver data from Codemasters F1 2010. Your biggest task is the hardware.
    What hardware exactly are you going to use?
    I wouldnt recommend pneumatics for your project, as F1 simulators need to be able to simulate rumble effects, which is impossible to do with air.
    Besides, a proportional valve setup for 3 cylinders is expensive, and does not give nearly that good result as an electric or hydraulic actuator setup.
    I guess the SCN5 arent capable to lift the chassis including driver in a 3 DOF setup. Probably the SCN6.
    Imho you should rather look out for some AC gearhead motors with frequency inverters, or hydraulic cylinders with proportional valves.

Nice cockpit btw. Is there a chance of you posting some pics and description of the building process?

regards
  10. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    That is right. First figure out how you are going to move your cockpit and how much power you need. Also you have to be able to connect it to X-Sim. After that you can do as many axis as you want.
  11. jgoffline

jgoffline New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Below is the draft I've just made using the paint!.

[​IMG]

The three cylinders of 1 1/2'' have about 400mm each, all being operated by three proportional valves, 1 pump of about 36L/min, driven by a motor of near 2hp.

Question: What kind of control signal for the proportional valves do I get from the x-sim on the USB ports??? 0-10V, 0-5V?!?!?! Do I need one USB port for each control valve?

Do you have any recommendation of a not too expensive manufacturer for the proportional valves?? Danfoss?? Vickers??

ps: I'm not with the pictures of the construction at the moment, but as soon as i get, i'll post it!
  12. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    You already know a lot more pneumatic manufacturers than most of us... :D
    We are telling you, you are beating a dead horse with a pneumatic system. It will not be cheap, and it will never touch the performance of an electric system.

Force Dynamics makes the platform you are looking for: http://www.force-dynamics.com/
    or you can find a knock-off version of it: http://www.motion-sim.com/racing/

These are AC motor, belt driven actuators. Cost about 20k euros for the 4DOF model.

You could put the screen closer to the driver, your cockpit would be perfectly suitable to do this:
    perfect-blend-from-real-to-virtual-but-how-t2840.html
  13. jgoffline

jgoffline New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Frakk,
    I forgot to say that hardware is described Hydraulic. I saw that would be a great mistake to use a pneumatic system.
    That his advice to bring the screen closest rider will be perfect if I can change the view of the F1 2010 game, like the video that you showed me. The x-sim do that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-D_WtXL ... _embedded#

[​IMG]
  14. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    X-Sim essentially will give you axis position data from Codemasters F1 2010 for as many axis as you need for your simulator.
    The output via the X-Sim USO is selectable from 8 to 32bit.
    The USO will send out a command string via the serial port (you can use serial/USB adapters as well) like this:
    AB~255~~a01~~a02~~a03~ (example for 3 axis with 8bit resolution)

So you are going to need an external controller (like the DIY AMC controller or other, commercial ones) to translate this command string for each valve driver either in 0...10V, -5...0...5V, PWM, or whatever the valve drivers require as input.

If you could tell us which valve drivers (brand, model name) you are going to use, we probably could give more specific answers.

regards
  15. jgoffline

jgoffline New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm negotiating with suppliers, the moment I buy all the hardware, will supply you with the information I requested.
    Thanks for the advice.

I'm putting pictures of the construction of the cockpit that you asked me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. jgoffline

jgoffline New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Egoexpress,
    I want to buy a hardware from FESTO ( www.festo.com).
    Did you work with this hardware?
  17. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    wow what a design wish ya could mould me one. well done
  18. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    No, I didn't.
    But there are probably cheaper suppliers.

Amazing replica btw :thbup:
  19. jgoffline

jgoffline New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I want to work with electric servo gear, let me know if you know I can plug direct the RS-232 in servo gear, or I need a controler?

If I will need a controller, you would have some logic program so that I can rely?
  20. jyrki.j.koivisto

jyrki.j.koivisto New Member

Balance:
    314Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'm in the process of building/designing a clone of this simulator http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wreOPKXN ... re=related
    At first I had plans to make something similar to Force Dynamics 301 but I dropped that idea, major difference between these two are that FD301 uses ballsrews versus timingbelt drive and common ac-motor