1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Help choosing an OSW motor

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by Theodore Fataliev, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Theodore Fataliev

Theodore Fataliev New Member

Balance:
    54Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone,
    Just recently stumbled upon the osw project and I am very happy to see more and more people step away from the cheap commercial shite Logitech is pushing to newcomers.

So as I understand the Rolls Royce of motors is the Big Mige with a biss-c encoder.

However shipping from China can sometimes be equivalent to the cost of the motor.

So I found a morphon motor which has the same model naming scheme as the mige lineup : morphon 130ST M15025 on Amazon for 100 dollars .

It does not have a biss c encoder (only 2500ppr). Otherwise it a 15nm motor with 30nm peak

Here is the link

I plan to use a simucube motherbaord with a ioni pro driver and psu

Do you think this motor can be upgraded down the line to a biss c encoder ?
  2. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    I suggest you use the AASD 15/30 driver

Very commonly used in the sim world
  3. T R Para

T R Para i make stuff up

Retired
    Balance:
    2,436Coins
    Ratings:
    +357 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    Hi Theodore. Welcome to the forum. I am working on a DD wheel at this time also. I have been researching things a bit and always looking for the best solution with the lowest cost... This motor/driver combination looks to be a good deal if you are in the US.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W4K64S6

The Thanos driver board runs about $85 shipped (although backordered at this time) You can hand wire one for about $50 (DIY) and then you will be on your way to a working system..
    Good luck my friend
  4. Theodore Fataliev

Theodore Fataliev New Member

Balance:
    54Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So here are my following questions

Will the simucube motherboard provide a better experience? Ie better driver updates, firmware updates, etc

Will I need to / be able to upgrade by encoder to a 4.2 m encoder later down the line ?

How significant is the difference between a 2500ppr and a 4.2 m biss-c encoder

Thanks
  5. Mike Melga

Mike Melga Member

IT
    Balance:
    660Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 1 / -0
    Hi.
    Can you tell me where to buy those boards? Thanks.
    That boards replaces exactly what? The simucube + Ioni? Seems to good to be true :)