1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Has this idea been tried yet?

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by jimmcquade, Jul 12, 2014.

1. jimmcquade

jimmcquade Member

Balance:
    272Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    A motion platform holding the seat, wheel and pedals, mounted on a pivot point, but using only 2 motors in the front 2 corners to control motion? All the ones I have seen online seem to used 4 motors, one in each corner.

BTW is there a place thread on the site that shows all the different types of setups? Thanks

jim
  2. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Your talking like a DBOX setup. ?
  3. jimmcquade

jimmcquade Member

Balance:
    272Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I mean a rectangular slab with the seat, pedals and wheel mounted to it, balanced on a pivot point (universal joint), then motion controlled by 2 actuators located on the front 2 corners only.
  4. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    If the frame is mounted on a pivot point then there is no reason to use 4 motors - this 2 motor design is quite common, either front or back mounted.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. jimmcquade

jimmcquade Member

Balance:
    272Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I've only seen ones mounted on the back, usually near the top of the seat.

I was thinking that with the motors mounted at the front, there would be a long distance between the center of gravity pivot point, and the motor mounts, creating a lot of fulcrum length. You could move the platform easier than with rear mounted ones. Can anyone post a link of a platform like this here? I have not seen one yet. Thanks.

jim
  6. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    @bsft, post ya video of ya footmover please, same concept, beware you end up with little pitch and massive roll too.
  7. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  8. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hope that helps.
    Cheers, David.
  9. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I built a foot motor mount sim ages ago that was very successful.
    Link is further down the page.
    The design overcame the need for shoulder mount because of space saving reasons.
  10. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    Agree with bsft, also understand that the closer you can drive near the centre of gravity, or above the less stress there will be on the motors (also tracks better). It is why you see allot of rigs being driven near the top of the seat backrest.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  12. jimmcquade

jimmcquade Member

Balance:
    272Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Thanks so much for the help guys. I have been wanting to buy/build a simulator for about 2 years now, and I am glad I found this place. I like to build and modify things, so I have decided this will be my next big project.

I have never used a motion simulator before, but I recently found out that VRX simulators has their main office about 5 minutes from where I live (http://www.vrx.ca/). I'm going to drop by next week to try out their rigs. I couldn't possibly buy one, buy I guess it would be a good idea to try out one before I start designing my own.

I have a couple of questions I would like some opinions on, as far as what type of rig to make. I want the rig mainly for iracing. I rarely play any other games, except for DCS A-10. I'd like the rig to use house power, and be as immersive as possible for iracing. I am not so interested in getting banged around, but would like to feel the pitch and roll of the track, and acceleration. I'd want the monitors to be static as well. I'm assuming having the pedals and wheel move with the seat would give me best feel for the game?

Thanks again for the help

jim
  13. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Remember 240v can kill. Not recommend for newbie.

If you go down the 240v path just beware, not discouraging the building of them but from my research certain regulations govern the building of them, specially if plugging into a government's power grid.

Ah no having the wheels and pedals all move is like playing on an '80's arcade machine, look at on board camera shots of a driver in a real race car, nothing like everything moving. But for flight yes need to make it all move. Sorry mixing the two doesn't result in impressive movement, where a lot of commercial units get it wrong, spoken to many full time race drivers and believe it or not a good seatmover is preferred by them , as they feel it represents more accurately to whats going on in a car.
  14. jimmcquade

jimmcquade Member

Balance:
    272Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    We use 110v in Canada, but I understand what you mean. So as far as seat movers go, I have very limited space behind my seated position, so it would be best if the motors/actuators were beside or at the front area of the seat. On the width, I have lots of room.

So... is it better to use actuators or motors considering I want to plug into the wall outlet, and having them mounted near the front of the seat? I don't mind paying for quality either, as long as it has a long life. Thanks

jim
  15. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I can suggest a seat mover where motors are at front.
    http://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/desk-racer-2dof.5326/
    deskracer.jpg
    This is as about as compact as it gets
    The Pololu JRK control boards and motors http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GEAR-MOT...LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51bd392f00&_uhb=1 have been found to be excellent in quality in motion and lasting strength.
    Thats in 12v
    for 110v, I think you need to look at arduino or K8055, code written for it, inverters, AC motors.
    I doubt you will find a 110v actuator that I know of.
    The nearest thing I could think of for a desk racer design is a SCN6
    Otherwise, motors will do fine.
    One thing you need to consider is how heavy you are yourself.
    The desk racer is rated to 110kg passenger with 8 kg seat as well.
    As for Robs point on real life videos, heres a good one, watch the driver in the corner of the video get tossed around

Although only from my perspective, the foot motor sim I built was really good even though it was a full frame. The long distance from the pivot , 700mm , gave me short sharp jolts motion and sufficiently gave good pitch feeling on a short throw on the motors. As said, the frame had big roll, but a profile sort fixed that no problem.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @Nick Moxley , you are in Canada, are you anywhere near Victoria BC?
  17. jimmcquade

jimmcquade Member

Balance:
    272Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I live just outside of Victoria, near the ferry terminal. In the hills outside of a town called Sidney. Have you visited here?
  18. jimmcquade

jimmcquade Member

Balance:
    272Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    So for these DC rigs, do you have a big car battery with a charger hooked up to it to run it?
  19. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    either
    I have 2 sims, so one one I run a 12v 32 amp PSU in parallel with a 330CCA battery,
    and on the desk racer I run 12v 40 amps PSU x 2 (one for each motor).
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    sorry to sound dumb, but I dont quite understand what you mean......