1. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Download Package Now!
  2. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  3. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant here. Do not following these rules will lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.

Harness Tensioner

Discussion in 'Commercial Simulators and Peripherie' started by SeatTime, Apr 23, 2018.

1. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member SimTools 2.0 Beta Tester

Balance:
    25,131Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,335 / 20 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Note: See the end of thread for current availability.

Hi Guys, finally completed my commercial Harness Tensioner (now V2 - changes made in the Power supply, Bowden cable and acoustics), which runs as an interface/2 axises on Simtools. This is a great addition to any simulator; fixed, or with motion. It allows extended braking (surge) mainly for cars and heave effects for aircraft/space craft. These will fit simply to most existing race seats via a adjustable clip that fits over the top harness entry hole - no modifications to the seat are required. The part that fits to the seat is made predominately out of Aluminium and composites to ensure light weight. A Video of it running is in a post below. What is interesting with this setup, is as the belts are independently driven (each can move the harness approx 100mm), you can even mix in some sway:). Does not include Harness, or Simtools license - as most would already have these.

System - includes, international IEC socket outlet, Large Meanwell Power supply (v2), USB cable, Equipment box (houses controller and Servos etc) and Bowden cable/harness attachment system. Bowden cables length are supplied at a 1M outer sleave length which can be shortened further by the user if required. After the initial batches that I have built to order, I will now only make these in small batches and then offer them for sale. Price is now $530 AUD + postage. If these sell I will make more, if not, I will stop. Unfortunately with all the upgrades parts and my time, this is realistically the cheapest I can make them moving forward. To gauge postage costs from Australia - package weight is around 3.5Kg.

Harness Tensioner V2.jpg

Big roller version
    Harness Tensioner Seat Clip_adjustable.jpg

Fitted to race seat.

Harness Tensioner 7.jpg

The seat clip adjusts to different sized harness through hole depths.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  2. AussieSim

AussieSim Member

Balance:
    1,052Coins
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Hi SeatTime,

How do you recommend mounting the Equipment box, should it be rigidly mounted to the rig frame and ideally with the Bowden cables straight ? Or can it sit on the floor unmounted.

If it should be mounted would one drill holes through the box, as I don't see mounting tabs/holes.

Thanks
  3. SeatTime

Balance:
    25,131Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,335 / 20 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    It does not need to be hard mounted to work. It would be fine just sitting on the floor, although you could velcro it somewhere to keep things neat if you like.
  4. sberns

sberns Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    228Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5, Arduino
    Looks great! What belt width is it designed for? 3”?
  5. SeatTime

Balance:
    25,131Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,335 / 20 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yes, 3 inch or less.
  6. SeatTime

Balance:
    25,131Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,335 / 20 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Video of the Seat Tensioner in operation on my old race seat.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
  7. Gadget999

Gadget999 Active Member

Balance:
    4,083Coins
    Ratings:
    +94 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    awesome - nice neat simple design

is it 12v / 24v inside ?
  8. titomaky

titomaky Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    23Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    all this is fine, but I ask if this will not curl the curl?
    todo esto esta muy bien, pero pregunto yo si esto no sera rizar el rizo?
  9. SeatTime

Balance:
    25,131Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,335 / 20 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    It uses big RC servos.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. SeatTime

Balance:
    25,131Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,335 / 20 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Unfortunately, I don't understand the question. Obviously lost in translation.
  11. PetroVitallini

PetroVitallini New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    237Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Hello Seattime!

Those look very responsive and well made! What kind of force does these provide? I vaguely remember you wrote in another thread that you have had experience with cars on racetracks if I'm not mistaken. How would you say the harness tensioners compare?
  12. SeatTime

Balance:
    25,131Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,335 / 20 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    These do a good job and I used a similar system in my sim for quite a long time. My son said he was getting sore shoulders when testing them recently (he is 22) - so a reasonable amount of force, but I would be lying if I said they realistically mimicked the forces felt in a real race car. In my own sim I now use high Powered Ballscrew Actuators to drive my G-System and a vest/belt combination that better distributes the required loads and it feels very close to what you would feel on the track (In a F1 car, it can actually take you breath away :eek:), but unfortunately it is just too complex/heavy/expensive to ever think about commercializing and I would also be concerned about the legal issues with possibly injuring someone. It really came down to performance,cost and complexity. I've had a few people test them and they liked them, so I'm happy to sell them :).
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. SeatTime

Balance:
    25,131Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,335 / 20 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Not easy to show a pressure system working on a video, but hopefully this video helps.
    • Like Like x 3
  14. AussieSim

AussieSim Member

Balance:
    1,052Coins
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    @SeatTime your system uses a roller, that sits below the driver's shoulder height, where the seatbelt acutely changes angle downwards.

On the other hand, the JCL whole rig surge platform run the seatbelts backwards and slightly upwards, above the driver's shoulder height, before making a 90 degree bend vertically.

Vesaro equally run the belts behind the seat at a non vertical angle for their seatbelt tensioner

http://www.vesaro.com/blog/

Have you experimented with the belt past the roller running at a 45 or 90 degree angle from the vertical, and did it make any difference ?

Intuitively the JCL would be squezing the driver backwards into the seat (surge), whereas a vertical belt orientation would simulate heave ?

There is no movement of the driver's shoulder girdle in their video.

Perhaps the roller bracket could have a low and a high mounting point depending on where the driver's shoulders are in relation to the seat's shoulder harness holes ? Or 2 rollers ?

Something like this
    https://scontent-icn1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=e05eeb460e8dba4d12444b7bf46f7a1e&oe=5B97067D
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  15. SeatTime

Balance:
    25,131Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,335 / 20 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Good question :thumbs. As in the real world the only angle that really matters is the finally one, were it leaves the roller and heads for your shoulders. This very much depends on how well you fit your chosen seat, I can supply a larger roller which sits higher if your harness through hole is suitable to support this. The seat I used for the Demo video has the Harness holes slightly below most adults shoulders and no-one has had an issue with it so far. As detailed above, this system is not meant to compete with the big motors used on the Vesaro, or even my own sim. FI . Once you pump up the pressure to something realistic, as I have done in my own sim, then even the Vesaro system when driving just the two top belts just does not cut it as the pressures over the body start to feel very unrealistic/unbalanced), it's why I went to a multi-point vest system. Unfortunately all this realism comes at way more money and complexity :(.
    Last edited: May 16, 2018
  16. SeatTime

Balance:
    25,131Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,335 / 20 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    At the request of a friend who tried out the system , fitted the Harness Tensioner to an office chair with just Velcro and a cheap custom harness that I made up. Works great for what it is, add a Buttkicker and your there :).

Custom Harness Setup.jpg

If anyone is ever interested in a setup like this, I could look at supplying a package for sale.
    • Like Like x 3
    Last edited: May 2, 2018
  17. SeatTime

Balance:
    25,131Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,335 / 20 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I have updated the rollers to carbon fibre. Very strong and half the weight of the old ones. Never had a issue with the old ones on my rig, but just to be sure and I think it is worth the effort/cost. All the current orders will go out with these.

New Harness Rollers.jpg
    • Like Like x 6
    Last edited: May 4, 2018
  18. SeatTime

Balance:
    25,131Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,335 / 20 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Been busy putting together orders. Slowed down some waiting for parts - but that is to be expected when you build mainly to order. Hang in there guys :). For customers info have pulled a few back down to incorporate some updates, as I'm delayed by the delivery of power supplies anyway.

Seat tensioner Production Line.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: May 11, 2018
  19. SeatTime

Balance:
    25,131Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,335 / 20 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Have updated the harness through hole clip to a adjustable one, which should fit most race seats.

Harness Tensioner Seat Clip_adjustable.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
  20. SeatTime

Balance:
    25,131Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,335 / 20 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    To answer some questions, below is a video to demonstrate the noise levels out of the Harness Tensioner Servo Box while in operation. Note: This is worse case using Surge and Sway, so if you just used it for braking/surge only, it would be less fidgety and therefore quieter. First part of the video is just the tensioner in operation with background noise - in the second part I introduce typical noise from a set of headphones (what most people would also have running). You can also hear a truck drive by my house in a part of the video :).

If you wanted it really quite, You could easily place the servo box into another wooden acoustic box - and just run the cables out through small holes in the side.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 22, 2018