1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Hardware List for a 2DOF Thanos/Tronic Joyrider Motion Sim

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by Langan, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Langan

Langan New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello and thanks for your help! I'm going to edit this first post after some of my questions have been answered. Hopefully, once and for all, we can get a comprehensive parts list for n00bs like me. :)

To build a 2DOF (Degrees of Freedom) Joyrider, I need:

2x 12v Brushed DC Gear Motors. Can someone recommend the perfect motor from http://www.robotshop.com/gear-motors.html for this project? I'd prefer to buy from robotshop instead of ebaying/junk-yarding some windshield wiper motors.

2x Pololu Jrk 12v12 USB Motor Controller with Feedback
    http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1393
    Instead of the Pololu, could someone recommend a motor controller from http://www.robotshop.com/brushed-motor-controllers.html to save on shipping. A lot of them come with heatsinks/fans for cooling as well. If we're not buying the Pololu, do we need a microcontroller as well? http://www.robotshop.com/microcontrollers.html

PVC Pipes for the joyrider motion base
    http://www.x-simulator.de/wiki/images/P ... estext.gif
    2x3 meters D90 width
    2x3 meters D50 width
    2x3 meters D40 width
    4x3 meters D75 width

Four wheel casters with double set of ball bearing. (square base is preferred)
    Anyone have a url?

Metal dexion parts (30x30 and 30x60 several meters)
    Anyone have a url?

Car Bucket seat (or plastic cart seat with high back)
    Can someone recommend a good racing seat?

Two large metallic Pulleys (12cm diameter)
    Anyone have a url?

Six small pulleys with ball bearing (updated)
    Anyone have a url?

210mm belt
    Anyone have a url?

Various hardware (bolts, nuts, angles etc)
    Please specify

If we have all the parts listed above, which parts below are still needed?:
    -Parallax's Basic Stamp2 with education board
    -Two HB-25 motor controllers (Parallax)
    -Two ADC0831 ADC chips
    -A max232 serial buffer chip
    -Two 250K potentiometers with 90 degrees reduced rotation. (for the axis position feedback)
    -Two 400watt computer power supply's (PSU) (a 12V car battery is preferred here due to the ability to deliver large amounts of amps when the motors are loaded)
  2. av8tr

av8tr New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Do you have any specs, drawings etc. for the belt pulley systems. Have the basic chassis.
    Was actually looking for the full plans for this sim but all the links from YouTube etc. are
    dead.

Thank-You av8tr
  3. value1

value1 Nerd SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Balance:
    14,509Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,319 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    Have you read through this Step by Step... approaching to Thanos work?

There is also a file thanos_site_offline.zip floating on the Internet. Thanos has done a very detailed documentation of his project with plenty of pictures.
    This might help as well ;)
  4. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Av8tr i have a copy of thanos file can email, i think its not to big or upload it somewhere for ya if thanos doesnt mind me uploading it, all credit to him.

A first post, would recommend if ya building ya cards, follow tronics amc with the h bridge or in turn yobuddys are there too.

But if not electrically minded(handy) yes ya cant go past the jrk for the dollars ya spend.
    Easy setup and ya can change it on the fly with the gui software supplied by pololu.

to me robotgears motors are too small and weak need 10amp unit min.
    And yes if ya go down the line of motor drivers ya need a microcontroller to run them, plus code no ones perfected to run the microcontroller, except tronics amc and kubbings pic but have seen a motion vid of kubbing running. Still would go jrk with new wipers from an automotive store or farm machinery suppliers, not old ones or even motified boat winches (300W units with enough torque to pull 900kg).