1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Hall sensors, sabertooth 2x32. Slight lag/delay on one side

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Trigen, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi guys

Ive fitted some hall sensors and its working great! Its on a sabertooth 2x32

My issue is that one side/motor is about a millisecond or two to react in comparison with the other. The wire length on one axis is a bit longer but at lightspeed that should not matter.

Any experience with this? Hardware or software issue?
  2. zapata_h

zapata_h Active Member

Industrial Maintenance Manager
    Balance:
    307Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino
    Try swapping sabretooth motors and sensors, so you'll check if the problem is in the saber tooth or in the motors
  3. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Deffo the B channel that is slower. Need to test the other sabertooth too so im sure its not a serial issue of some kind.
  4. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,574Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    Check if the PID settings for both motors are the same. If one motor normally turns opposite of the other its not unusual for a motor to run a little better in one direction than the other. In any case that's what PID settings are for so try increasing P and/or I on the slower motor and/or decreasing them on the faster motor.
  5. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Ga
    Gave it a test. No change. The motors does run the opposite way to each other but ive switched the channels around and tested it before and same issue but in reverse so its leaning to a HW issue. Basing it on milliseconds and sound card setup id probably estimate it to be above 8ms (incorrect in the OG post) later for the motor to get the signal/react. Like said though im going to give the other one the same test today once i got it all hooked up again
  6. zapata_h

zapata_h Active Member

Balance:
    307Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino
    If you have tried the other way around and the problem persists but in the other engine it is clear that it is HW problem
  7. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Same issue on both sabertooths actually. Gonna take this up with them
  8. zapata_h

zapata_h Active Member

Balance:
    307Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino
    The truth is that it is a strange error
  9. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Started thinking that i might be overloaded somehow and tried to play with the Fpid and reducing calculatins. That helped considerably. You'd think it could handle that but its only 2 wires. Had no such issue on cheap china motor controllers but they use 3 wires for each motor. in any case its very close to perfect and i doubt i will notice

Might be what you meant first Blaze but i only did KP KD.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019