1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Gameserver rFactor for X-Sim relaseparty 06.06.2009

Discussion in 'Virtual Racing League' started by RaceRay, May 22, 2009.

1. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,965 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    Hi Bernard,

i agree, we cannot expect that all organizing things have already be done by Martin!

I do not forgot that you were the first initiator of a x-sim racing league and i appreciate it. Unfortunately the time wasn´t ripe for our community in those days and your efforts come only to little feedback of our members. (Me included). I thing the time has changed, more and more members own a real motion simulator and are willing to drive against other x-sim members.

So, don´t take it badly when i ask you now for help in organizing our first common race.

How much bandwith we need for estimate 20 user? How cpu hungry is it?

I could try to help out with our server, running rFactor server with WINE on Linux. (Maybe as second backup server) But I never set up a rFactor server on Linux before and it needs some testing.

Maybe you find a way and are willing to reactivate your old gameserver?

:)
  2. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

The 'host a game option' from within rFactor or any game for that matter lacks many of the features necessary to host a league race, which is why all serious leagues have dedicated servers. If you like I can eleborate, but it would be a long list of lacking options.

I am not sure that track voting within the software will be useful because the dedicated servers already provide this. Most importantly, the dedicated servers are aware of which tracks are installed and available to be served and are therefore able to offer an appropriate list for people to vote on.

Also, a dedicated server collects race statistics for all participants . One of the features of the SimXperience Commander is to collect and present these statistics.

Also, even a quad-core PC will not both play the game and host 20 users.

I can prepare a dedicated rFactor server with a quad-core processor and 32gb of RAM sometime this weekend.

Another common thing for leagues to do before a race is to have the dedicated server online with the tracks that will be ran so that drivers can practice and everyone has a fair shot. If yoiu look around in rFactors multiplayer section, you will see many locked league servers that are labeled for practice.

SirNoName is correct about skin packs. Everyone will need to upload the car skin that they intend to use (if it is not a default skin) so that others can choose to download and install it.

Also, if any non-standard tracks or vehicles are being used, the host will need to make these available for download before the race as well.

Other items such as flag rules, damage percentages, amount of practice time, fuel consumption rates, etc... must be decided upon. Maybe the best approach is for me to get my dedicated server online, and let people practice on it so they can form an opinion.??
  3. RaceRay

Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,965 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi Bernard,
    What a beast, i assume that thing does not stay in you living room :D

It´s really great. After some training hours, we should discuss pit stop, flag and other rules as you said.

Are there ways to integrate racings statistics like actual driving track, pole position, fastest lap into the new x-sim website? Maybe some files, XML, CSV or API acces to a rFactor server DB?

B.tw. my rFactor DVD copy (to drive online) will be delivered monday, i hope so.

regards
    René
  4. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Just would like to remind, that we didnt choose any tracks so far.

I think we should deactivate pitstop, fuel, tire wear etc for the first few races...

It will be tricky enough to get the whole thing running together with XSim etc, so we should keep the race itself as simple as possible for now, imho.

regards
  5. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    The server is almost ready. I should have it completed this evening. I started a quick web page (http://www.simxperience.com/XSimReleaseParty/tabid/184/Default.aspx) where I will post whatever cars, skins and track files we determine are necessary. I will also be posting some vehicle setup files and rFactor tips here in hopes of making the race a little more fair.

I will post back here with the name of the practice game server tonight. Also, anyone with a track preference can respond now and I will include it in the server and download web page.
  6. RaceRay

Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,965 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks... i will drive my traininglessons on it, when it´s done :)

Track desire: Nurburg ring (nordschleife), Bahrain, monza, monaco
  7. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Sorry for the delay! I ran into a few issues with my new firewall. The rFactor server is ready, and I will adress the firewall issues tonight so that everyone can access it.

Is there any interest in having the TeamSpeak server put back online? I recieved a PM about this recently. I dont want to build it again if it isn't going to be used.
  8. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    The game server for the X-Sim 2.1 Launch Party is now online and accessible from your rfactor installation by choosing join a game from your rfactor multiplayer menu. The Game name is X-Sim launch party. It is difficult to find in the rFactor list, but it IS there. For some reason an alphebetical sort does not always work correctly in rFactor, so you may have to look through the list manually to find it.

The default rFactor cars are terrible, and so we will need to choose a mod. Currently, the server is configured to use the McLaren F1 mod, which has received excellent ratings, and I am also sure that the cars geometry is correct and therefore gives out correct g-force information. Additionally, the cars default setup is VERY competitive, which will make the race a bit more fair for newcomers. You can read more about and download the McLaren F1 Mod here http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=McLaren F1 Challenge Please be sure to download version 3.5. Another decent mod is the NAGT mod. I am placing these files on my website, as well as default skin templates for those of you that want to paint your own car for the race. Please be sure to let me know if you have creatyed a skin so that others can download it before the race begins.

The server is configured to allow most other default rFactor cars, but you will have little chance of winning in these vehicles. I highly suggest downloading the McLaren F1 version 3.5 mod!!! If anyone who is planning to participate in the race is having difficulty understanding how to install the mod, please say so and I will get some installation info posted for you.

Currently, the server is configured to use black flag only rules (this saves alot of time because we wont have to re-run formulation laps after each caution flag). Fuel and tire use are set to normal, but will be disabled soon.

I was unable to find Nurburg Ring or Nordschlief. I thought that they were part of the default install. I am investigating this further to see where I can download them from. Currently, only three tracks are enabled (Essington Park, Mills Metro Park and Toban). They are default tracks that came with rFactor, so everyone will have them.

Also, I added two AI drivers to the server, so you can find out if your connection performance is acceptable.

Please post any opinions or issues back here so we can address them BEFORE the race.

:cheers:
  9. RaceRay

Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,965 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
  10. RaceRay

Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,965 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Can u tell us the IP of the Server? Sometimes the server is online, but very difficult to find...now it seems to be offline...cannot find it anymore.

Thanks.
  11. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Nothing will happen if you get negative money. You do not need money and you do not have to have puirchased a vehicle in order to use it for online competition if I remember correctly. I know which ini file to edit the money in if it becomes necessary. I will try giving myself -1000 and see if I can join an online race with a car that I do not already own.
    EDIT: I tested with -100000 money and I was able to successfully join the server and race in any vehicle, even though I had not purchased the vehicle. Negative money should not be a problem for our release party.
  12. RaceRay

Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,965 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I got everytime a time out error, if i want to race on it :no: Another server works ...

Edit: did not find it any longer, no chance to find the server via name, except with luck... i gave up :?
  13. RaceRay

Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,965 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Ha, i am on...costed me only a half hour :mug1:
  14. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    It seems that rFactor MatchMaker service is having some kind of issue. If you are unable to connect to the game server, please click the + sign and enter the server's IP address manually. The address is 96.11.180.198.
  15. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For some reason I don't either able to see the name in the serve list.

When I enter the IP it appears, but when I join in it says connection lost and kicks me back to menu...

Any recommendations??

Thanos
  16. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    It is common to get a connection lost message if you have not installed the mod or track that the server is running. Please ensure that you have downloaded, installed and selected the EuroCup Megane 2008 mod and the VLM Mid-Ohio track as well as Nordschleife. The proper versions to download are available via my website or the updated starting post for the launch party.
  17. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, Now I connect fine. I haven't installed Nordschleife after reinstalling the game...!! :lol:

Thanks