1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Gabor Pittner build thread

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Gabor Pittner, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Gabor Pittner

Gabor Pittner Active Member

Balance:
    1,294Coins
    Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    I have 3 interfaces with 2 motors per interface. Every motor is an axis, but how can I setup the correct order of 6 motors/axes on my stewart platform? And witch one has to be the first, (front left for example)
    Is there any tutorial or manual of that? Point me please there.
    (I designed the rig for Thanos AMC1280USB board, but its not relieable with analog output to sabertooth yet.)
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2019
  2. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,575Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    Since DIY has almost endless possibilities so does Simtools. So there is not a "correct order" so to speak. But however you do it Simtools can work with it.

But yes this is off topic so start a new thread or ask on another thread if you want additional info. ;)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. SilentChill

SilentChill Problem Maker

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,402Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    I have mine setup so axis 6 and 1 are on COM1 (Front left and Right) , 3 and 4 are on COM2 (Middle Left and Right) , 4 and 5 are on COM6 (Rear Left and Right)

Like @BlazinH says everyone is different and they can all be setup up however you want :) If you have yours setup the same as mine I can share you my profiles if you like :)
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Gabor Pittner

Balance:
    1,294Coins
    Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Of cource I would like it :) I have another barrel of beer for you too... :) :)
    But how can you tell simtools that wich axes/motors wich side located on your rig? And how can you tell simtools the dimensions and parameters of your rig? Have I missed something?
  5. Gabor Pittner

Balance:
    1,294Coins
    Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    @BlazinH I've been thinking if there is a chance to make an SMC6-SPS code for Arduino Mega with 6 motors. I think we need another utility to configure those 6 motor's though. Unfortunately I don't know much about arduino code, so Im just curios if an arduino can control more motors than 2 like @zigzag49 setup.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  6. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,575Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    When Sabertooths are using packet serial mode like SMC3-SPS uses you can run 16 motors from one serial port. So a Mega can run up to 48 motors and still have one uart left to communicate with Simtools. It can do 16 more motors if you use software serial also. But note I said run, not control. It one thing to send packets to make 48 motors move but quite another to have robust PID control of them.

The original SMC3 sketch controls three motors in total and was optimized for doing that. Adding SPS support made the sketch work even harder though. Therefore one motor was removed to give time for serial communications to operate. Also since the sketch technically supports Sabertooths only, and they are dual motor controllers, it doesn't make a lot of sense to have a third motor without a forth also. So instead of adding more and more motors to the same sketch and degrading the PID for each motor its much better to use multiple arduinos and therefore use much more computing power since Simtools doesn't make you use a single output interface.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. SilentChill

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,402Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SOrry totally messed up with what I set my axis lol I must of been on aanother planet ..............this is how they are

[A<Axis6a>][B<Axis1a>] are on COM1 (Front left and Front Right) ,
    [A<Axis2a>][B<Axis3a>] are on COM2 (Middle Right and Rear Right) ,
    [A<Axis4a>][B<Axis5a>] are on COM3 (Rear Left and Middle Left)

All this might not be of any use if this all works out well :D https://www.xsimulator.net/communit...rface-for-linear-actuators.12859/#post-169502

I am about to test very soon :)
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Gabor Pittner

Balance:
    1,294Coins
    Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Thank you for your explanation. It's clear now.
  9. Gabor Pittner

Balance:
    1,294Coins
    Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Ahhaa, there is a FlyPT interface I haven't noticed yet. Im jumping to dive in it :) Maybe it helps to understand how it works. Thank you too!!!! Im getting to fill the barrel :)

I can see your axis6a is your front left motor/actuator, but how does simtools know that? :) What if I wanted to axes1a to be front left motor? How can I tell it to simtools... Sorry Im getting confused :)
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  10. SilentChill

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,402Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Like this

upload_2019-1-3_14-48-7.png upload_2019-1-3_14-48-15.png

upload_2019-1-3_14-48-23.png
  11. Gabor Pittner

Balance:
    1,294Coins
    Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    OK I get it, but what I don't understand, where is axis6a declared to front left? What if I want to axis6a to be the middle right? How can I do this? Sorry for confuse you :)
  12. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,575Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    You just use axis assignments to send which dofs and how much you want to axis6a, no declaration is needed.
  13. SilentChill

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,402Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @Gabor Pittner sorry I forgot to post my axis settngs. This is what I use for car games, hopefully maybe of some use :)
    upload_2019-1-4_21-32-53.png upload_2019-1-4_21-33-2.png
    upload_2019-1-4_21-33-19.png
  14. Gabor Pittner

Balance:
    1,294Coins
    Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    I just asked because you use 1ms delay. Can arduino uno work with 1ms delay? If I remember well 10ms is suggested delay with uno.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  15. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,575Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    10ms will give 100 telemetry updates per second which should be enough but you can send more if you wish. The arduino will only process what it can keep up with though.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2019