1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Request (Feature) G seat traction loss. Need more than the 10% DZ for better snap feel

Discussion in 'SimTools DIY Version' started by Trigen, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi

In future versions could you please add a 1-100% DZ filter instead of the 10. The reason being that for a G seat, at least for my use i would really like to just have the last 10-20% in use as thats generally where the car loose the total grip and snaps out. Given that traction loss is on the sway axis the flaps starts to counteract themself' much to early as it is now and you need to be able to set the full 100% DZ

Cars that are slidy in nature will leave the sway flaps quite low most of the time. Sway/TL needs more axis to get a feel as it always counteracts whis is far from optimal.

Side to side weight transfer sway feel suffers greatly

Hope you can sort this out .
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  2. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,214Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
    Having that big of a dead-zone really seems overkill.
    Maybe a customized G-Seat interface plugin would be better.
    But all of the filters have been redone and verified for the next version (v2.4).
    So maybe your findings will be different.
  3. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thank you for the reply Yobuddy

While i do understand that your aim is mainly for 2dof platforms and up and not so much the G seats i have to disagree on the Dead zone to be overkill. From my perspective having that 1-100% would be perfect as you could tune where you would like the flaps to start reacting. Some might like to have the feel of the changing grip at all times and some might just want the last 10% as that is where you would be at the edge and have to correct.

As for a plugin. Wouldnt you need to write a custom plugin for each game? That seems like far more work (for the end users i suppose) than changing the numbers on a slider or just adding one more to the software.

I dont know what you guys have done for 2.4 in the filter section of course but if its the same 10% i don't see how it will make any difference.

Thats my 2 cents on it but you guys know this better than me of course.

Thanks!
  4. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,214Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
    No, i mean a Axis Assignment plugin just for G-Seats.
    If we need some custom stuff just for G-Seats, like a lot of deadzone, then maybe building a axis assignments plugin for gseats is needed?
    But I don't think any sim would use that much deadzone is all i'm saying.
    Take care,
    yobuddy
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Ok i see.

Im not 100% sure what would be the best solution for it but it would be fantastic to have a tool to adjust where it kicks in. For the most part the change is quite gradual making it hard to pick up in the mix of forces when it is actually about to or snaps out. For high speed turns where you should feel a lot of sway force it feels mostly neutral depending on the car. For high down force cars its not as bad but most the mechanical grip and sliding cars it's not optimal. Its a tricky thing really.

In any case Id be thankful if you could keep it in the back of your minds and i'd be more than happy to test things out should you guys need it at some point.

Thanks
    Trigen.
  6. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Actually, a configurable curve on the axis would be a very good way to do it. 3 configurable points (movable x and y) would be excellent but the best would be to be able to add and remove points for fine tuning. This way you could have very good control over where the drop-off would be
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  7. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,214Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
    In the mean time, an easy fix to what you want to do would be to edit the Arduino sketch.
    If your using an Arduino that is?
    Then just have it drop anything you want from the traction loss input.
  8. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I'm using the smc sketch you have written for the sabertooth. A quick tip and or a line number or two would be great. Would probably save me some time scratching my head
  9. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,214Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
    RufusDufus wrote that I believe.
  10. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Right my mistake. And BlazinH would be the original author.

Suppose i will have to bug them a bit on it as i haven't got the slightest idea where or how i would edit out any data from the plugins. I thought everything there was handled in the simtools software and the sketch is mainly for motor control with inputs coming from simtools
  11. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,214Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
    RufusDufus is the original author actually.
    Blaszin has a modified version for a different communication type i believe.

It is, but you can limit stuff in the sketch also should you want to buddy.
    Have you played with the min max settings for traction loss input?
    I see no reason the 'break' time would be any different than with a sim?
  12. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Aight, gotcha. Apologies to them for messing it up :)

As for min max you really cant get anything great out of it. If you set Sway to fks 1.0 and TL to 4, TL will mostly be slow and hard to feel when it snaps. Set it to 2 and while it should be half as fast and half the axis limit of the Sway it feels like it directly counteracts it and everything feels neutral in the turns with both flaps at the same height. It is something you need to feel in your back to get a proper picture. You also end up overcompensating in axis range which makes the flaps far to high when 80% traction and mostly to low on 50% Ive been trying to tweak things but not arrived on anything to acceptable yet.

All of this is why the curve would be the perfect tool as you can edit out this progressive feel that wont (not for all cars of course) give you an actual snap at the end of the grip.

As for the sketch i still wouldn't know where to put that in the SMC3. I would need to get some detailed instructions to even know where to put it and what words to write.

"I see no reason the 'break' time would be any different than with a sim?"

Dont know what you mean by this