1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

G-seat Addon to 3DOF Rig

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by sberns, Dec 6, 2017.

1. sberns

sberns Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    432Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5, Arduino
    After a lot of reading on this site, I've decided to finally attempt to build a portable G-seat, inspired by some incredible examples I've seen by others on this site (@SeatTime, @Spit40, @early_m, and others). I have no background in engineering/coding/electronics, so I expect to have my hands full but I'm up for the challenge.

My current rig includes a SimXperience Stage 3 motion setup and a DIY arduino-based Simwind system (https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/simulated-wind-using-monstermoto-and-arduinouno.6876/). Looking specifically for the added sensation of sustained G-forces in corners.

My plan is to use aluminium or steel to form two panels with 60' bends to extend the pressure to my sides. I will be using 4 x servos per panel to distribute the force and minimize strain on the servos.

Equipment ordered so far:

8 x JX PDI-6221MG (20kgcm at 6V, 0.16/60')
    8 x 25T 35mm aluminium servo arms (holes at 20mm, 25mm)
    8 x 35-40mm steering rods
    1 arduino uno
    AC-DC 5V 20A LED power supply
    servo brackets, wires, enclosure, etc
    Total approx $200 shipped

Here's a pdf with the panel design so far.

Appreciate all comments and advice. I've also never posted a build project before, so please forgive me if I make mistakes along the way :)
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  2. Spit40

Spit40 VR Flyer

Balance:
    2,881Coins
    Ratings:
    +198 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    i'm glad i helped inspire you. I think you may want the full 6v with your power supply. Hopefully that 5v supply has a voltage adjuster to raise it a bit more. 25mm arm holes also seem a bit low, but it depends on where you attach them to the flaps. I'd think about bolting on an extended lever arm. As for dimensions they seem ok. I presume this is for heave? BTW if you attach as jpg instead of pdf people don't need to spend a coin viewing it.

Good luck!
  3. sberns

Balance:
    432Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5, Arduino
    Oops...will definitely keep that in mind regarding pdfs, etc. The power supply is adjustable - the servo specs say 17kgcm for 4.8v so hopefully ill get close to 20kgcm even if it doesn't quite reach 6v. You might be right about the servo arms, i'll have to see. I'm going to get the flaps done while I wait for the shipment from China ;) Will update once I get further along...
    Gseat plan.jpg
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  4. early_m

early_m Active Member

Balance:
    818Coins
    Ratings:
    +340 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Glad my design has inspired you to go the g-seat route. I see you're going for a similar design in regards to applying lateral G to your sides. This really has been a game changer for me. The corner G's feel amazing, especially in VR. The immersion is at a new level.

Good luck on your build and happy to help where I can.

Like @Spit40 says, go 6V for the extra torque, you'll be glad you did.
  5. sberns

Balance:
    432Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5, Arduino
    Good luck on your build and happy to help where I can.

Like @Spit40 says, go 6V for the extra torque, you'll be glad you did.[/QUOTE]

Thanks guys. I will look 6v 20A power (I had a bit of trouble finding an inexpensive option in Canada but will keep looking).
    panels.jpeg
    My panels were finished in aluminum yesterday! Seems to have come out well.
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  6. Sebj

Sebj Active Member

Balance:
    492Coins
    Ratings:
    +165 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I'm watching with interest. Where are you located in Canada?
  7. early_m

early_m Active Member

Balance:
    818Coins
    Ratings:
    +340 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Looking good. So the back/side panels are one continuous piece? The sides do not hinge independently?

I powered my servos off a 12V supply and stepping down using this http://amzn.eu/49WZ0sH you might be able to get hold of one in Canada
  8. sberns

Balance:
    432Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5, Arduino
    Toronto. Go leafs go. The panels are two pieces, just hard to tell from the pic. There is actually a 2” piece separating the two panels as well, though I may not use it and bring the panels closer together. Ah...I’ll look into converting a 12v to 6v. I happen to already have a 12v 10a Power supply at home. If I convert it to 6v will I get 20a out of it or will the amperage remain at 10a?
  9. early_m

early_m Active Member

Balance:
    818Coins
    Ratings:
    +340 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Sorry, I meant is each panel one piece or will the angled part of the flap be hinged (like my design)?

As far as I'm aware if you half the voltage, you double the amperage. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

So your 12V 10a becomes 6V 20a
  10. sberns

Balance:
    432Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5, Arduino
    For my first attempt, I decided to keep it simpler and bent the panel so the angled side is fixed and will not move independently of the rest of the back panel. I’m sure it will not have as good an effect, but I expect it will still provide some additional feedback.
  11. sberns

Balance:
    432Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5, Arduino
    Here's some pics of the assembled panels. Have to wait for the rest of the parts, arriving end of the month or early January. Stay tuned...

IMG_1703.jpg

IMG_1698.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  12. sberns

Balance:
    432Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5, Arduino
    So I received the first of two shipments of parts. I now have my servos and arms but still waiting on the rod ends. Started on the wiring. I am planning on keeping the Power supply on the ground but put the rest on the Gseat insert. At this point I think I will have to get a low profile plastic case and bolt it below the panels.

What have others done for cable management?
    I’m not sure I’m happy with my current plan.
  13. sberns

Balance:
    432Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5, Arduino
    Wiring done and servos installed. Still waiting for the rod ends to arrive...

IMG_2131.jpg IMG_2129.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
  14. early_m

early_m Active Member

Balance:
    818Coins
    Ratings:
    +340 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Looking good! I have a control box on the floor that housed everything. Looked for a long time on how to nicely manage all the servo cables and never really found what I was looking for until recently. I am going to try XLR connectors. According to some data sheets each contact can handle 7.5A.
  15. early_m

early_m Active Member

Balance:
    818Coins
    Ratings:
    +340 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    For wiring in the gseat i just used cable ties to keep it all neat
  16. sberns

Balance:
    432Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5, Arduino
    My rod ends came in on Thursday! Spent quite of bit of time putting it all together and picked up a control box to clean up (ie hide) the wiring :). Will post a bunch of pictures of the final product later today or tomorrow.

The added immersion of the Gseat is fantastic. I think I still have to optimize my axis assignments. I’m using 60% sway, 20% surge and 20% pitch to complement my SimXperince stage 3 rig. I may go up a bit on sway and surge for a total axis assignment of 120%.

One downside though that I did not anticipate/think about is that the Gseat rests on the back of my current seat and therefore keeps my back and head about 1.5” off the rig. I don’t feel a lot of the very fast, small, nuanced forces that I used to feel before the Gseat. Anyone have any ideas on this? It almost feels like I added a ton of smoothing to my motion rig.

I’d like to post a vid of the system in action but telemetry is disabled in AC which is what I generally use. Not sure how to solve that one either.

Pics to follow!!
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. sberns

Balance:
    432Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5, Arduino
    I am still looking at cable management for my long servo wires (had to add another extension so that it would reach the control box) and I thought I might just try some like this:
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B073TZPYHV/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A273B110XRJXXC&psc=1

You can probably find something like that cheaper but that’s one example.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  18. sberns

Balance:
    432Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5, Arduino
    Here are the updated pics:

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

I experimented with different length connecting rods and interestingly, I found the shorter ones felt best (total length ranged from ~25-40mm). It seems like a small amount of travel here goes a long way!
    • Like Like x 2
  19. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    My old G-paddles use to sit in the space that held the seat back foam - so right against the fiberglass. Also only used foam where required - not all over the paddles. Might not look it , but never really had a problem with comfort. If you look at the original GS4 seat - basically just a seat cover over the raw paddles which were bolted directly to the seat.

Gseat update1.jpg

And later with the side wings.

G-Seat Side Paddles.jpg

I use AC AI to drive the car for any testing etc.
  20. sberns

Balance:
    432Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5, Arduino
    Thanks - your Gseat was a big inspiration for mine. I tried taking all the padding off my seat - but it didn’t really help that much as the SimX seat has minimal padding (0.5”) and the depth of my Gseat insert is around 1.5”. Also, I made a mistake by not countersinking the screws and they actually hurt my back :( I used loctite so I won’t be redoing that. Instead, I’m going to try adding padding above the Gseat to better support my head and shoulders to see if that helps.

BTW, how do I get AI to take over my car in AC?? I can’t believe I didn’t know you could do that! I know how in Rf2 but not AC.