1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

G-Force Vertical (Heave)

Discussion in 'SimTools DIY Version' started by carloscasas, Feb 2, 2014.

1. carloscasas

carloscasas Member

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +79 / 5 / -0
    Hi everybody

I have a question.

The G-Force vertical begins with 1. And when i configure the simtools, always this number is added to axis. It's possible that the G-Force Vertical (Heave) begins in 0? Subtract 1 until to convert them to axis position?

Thanks in advance
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Heave can go down to 0.01, but set the percentage of the force low as well or have the crap shaken out of you.
    Heave numbers will vary from game to game.
    example, my Race 07 is 0.5 at 7%
    Dirt3 is 1 at 18%
    GRID2 is 2 at 17%
    Try setting percentage of force at 20% and then fiddle with numbers in the tuning centre, if its too harsh, reduce percentage, if it feels ok, try going up in percentage of force,
    test, change numbers, percentage of force, rinse- repeat.
  3. value1

value1 Nerd SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Balance:
    14,496Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,319 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    Hi @carloscasas
    This actually depends on the simulation. We just extract the values as provided by the simulation. Most of the simulations ignore the earth gravitation and heave is 0 when standing still. Only a few simulations including iRacing and most flight simulations consider earth gravitation.
    If you want to do it correctly, it's not that simple. You must convert the local g-values (swayLC, surgeLC, heaveLC) into world coordinates, reduce heaveWC by the earth gravitation (-1g) and convert the accelerations back into local coordinates.

For flight simulations this procedure is probably necessary due to the airplane being tilted during long times (e.g. curves, climbing or diving).

For racing simulations – where the cars are most of the time flat on flat ground and hardly tilted more than a few grades sideways or forward/backward – reducing the heave value by 1g might ±work.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. carloscasas

carloscasas Member

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +79 / 5 / -0
    Thanks!!!

But, how can i reduce the value 1 g for vertilag_G before they are converted to axis?
  5. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hang on, didnt we go through this with the iracing setup as well? Or certainly something similar?
  6. carloscasas

carloscasas Member

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +79 / 5 / -0
    This is the problem that i have

With the car stopped, the heave is 1G and the axis isn't in the neutral position.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  7. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    do you have a scale model you can actually show this on? I recall @eaorobbie stating that the arduino you are using has a code problem stopping the sim from sitting at centre. I recall Rob told you this in the iracng thread you posted.
    I looked at the video, the force is 0.9999-1.000 , but I believe this is not 1g, rather just a number representing the force.
    The data in Simtool is raw data, not an algorithm. So I can have a set heave number of 0.5 in race 07, 2 in dirt3. I am not getting 0.5-2g of force, I am getting a number to represent the feeling in the heave. 0.5 gives me a good road vibration as its on tarmac.
    2 in dirt 3 covers obvious dirt road bumps.
    I set the percentage in each game to them suit my taste in motion feeling.
    I will have a look at some of my games later and see if a similar number comes up.
    But I do know that with the JRKS I am using, the seat sits level, maybe a slight bit off to represent the camber of the tgrack or pitch/roll of the track.
    I will get back to this in a few hours
    Cheers, David.
  8. carloscasas

carloscasas Member

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +79 / 5 / -0
    In this moment i haven't got a scale model. But, my question is : If the car is stopped, the 4axis would be in the neutral position, wouldn't it? Because the axis goes from -x to x, and 0 is the centre.

In the last video, you can see the car stopped and the 4 axis more elevated (no in the centre). If i quit the Heave parameter in the setup, the 4 axis are in the centre.

Thanks and sorry for all my questions.
  9. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I will have a look later once I get my kids to school, but I do know that the numbers in tuning centre always twitch when the car stops in game. The seat mover is not getting wobbled around either.
    Perhaps build a scale model and have a look.
  10. carloscasas

carloscasas Member

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +79 / 5 / -0
    And this video is with Rfactor

You can see the axis in the neutral position

Thanks in advance

Cheers

ps=Sorry for the inconvenience.
  11. carloscasas