1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Full rotation gimbal with 6 dof stewart platform. Help!

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by D_Burto_1_BTW, Jan 12, 2017.

1. D_Burto_1_BTW

D_Burto_1_BTW New Member

Custom metal fabrication and prototyping
    Balance:
    294Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hello everybody.

I'm dburto and i'm a new user. My work background is in metal fabrication and I do a lot of CAD and designing in my job as well. My father whom i work with is a fitter/machinist/toolmaker has a long history of machinery setup and maintenance in a wide variety of areas.

I got myself semi-acclimatized to simtools and sketchup and used the pre-made 3-DOF model to test out the software, game, etc. It took a while but ended up working very well.

I then drew up a 3-DOF full rotation rig to see how it would work with simtools. I can control the rig but have not tried full rotation on a flight sim to see if it will continue the roll/pitch/yaw. I have no idea if that will work. Someone please tell me if they have tried so i dont have to buy a flight sim to test my hypothesis.

Ive drawn up a 6-DOF or 9-DOF simulator (not sure which one to call it) and i want want to make it work on sketchup (IF I CAN) before i build a scale model i can fit a doll in.

It is essentially a 6-DOF simulator mounted inside a 3 axis full rotation gimbal. Can anyone help me make it work. MY codefu is very weak but my weld is strong.

Please help. :D

Ive seen a couple of chaps on here have tried this but they seem to have stalled. Maybe a collaboration is in order to get this done.

Cheers and once again hello to all! :D
  2. D_Burto_1_BTW

D_Burto_1_BTW New Member

Balance:
    294Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
  3. Mmcool

Mmcool Member

Balance:
    1,174Coins
    Ratings:
    +19 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF

So if I get it right, you will be using the 6dof platform as constrainted motion inverse kinematics model, while the external 3dof Kimbals will use the pitch/bank/yaw data in infinite rotation mode (or absolute 360 degrees).

It might be possible, but you are going to need to use lots of arduinos!!! :)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. D_Burto_1_BTW

D_Burto_1_BTW New Member

Balance:
    294Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Yep thats it Mmcool.

Im hoping that as the movement of the platform comes near the end of its motion path it will engage an already appropriately moving gimbal that will take over movement and continue it in 360 degree motion. Once the movement transfers to the gimbal, the platform should move back to its roll/pitch/yaw centre over time in the loop whilst still providing high speed movement.

Its quite the coding and mechanical/electrical conundrum.
  5. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    I wish you luck if you decide to proceed with this project but to be honest it sounds like a cluster f_ck in the making. :D

"Cluster f_ck - Chaotic and messy situation from multiple mistakes or problems happening in rapid succession"
    • Funny Funny x 3
  6. D_Burto_1_BTW

D_Burto_1_BTW New Member

Balance:
    294Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Cheers for the well wishes BlazinH.

I saw in another post that you went down this road at one stage.
    Apart from the massive cluster f#$@ that its probably going to be. lol :D
    Any tips or helpful hints?
  7. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    Yeah kind of but my original idea was to only build a 360-degree rotation 2dof. That idea in and of itself had a lot of issues that needed to be worked out but nothing like what you’re planning.

Anyway, I don’t see how its possible to put a 6dof Stewart within a 3-gimbal 360-degree rotating system and have it function properly. Since we are simulating forces and not replicating them simulators rely on the effects of gravity to help trick the brain. So turning upside down kind of messes that up if you get my drift.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  8. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    I agree with @BlazinH , but a 360-degree sim with a G-seat maybe worth investigating :).
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. D_Burto_1_BTW

D_Burto_1_BTW New Member

Balance:
    294Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    BlazinH - Could you please tell me more about simulating forces instead of replicating. I kind of though the game handled most of the "simulating". I was talking with obobo whom implied that if you keep your brains centre of balance as close to the centre of rotation as possible it would help. Is that correct? Could you possibly provide some key words to search or maybe a link or two? cheers dude

Seattime - I had never heard of a g-seat before your post. that is pretty much what i was after to start with. I want something that sits inside the gimbal that will give me high speed movement for guns firing, rumble of curbs, cracks in run ways, etc..... The G-seat sounds like just what im after. I can even fab up an aluminium seat. I've drawn one up that i have tucked away in my drawings folder. That would essentially be a 9 dof machine still but no problems with continuing and washing out motion with the gimbal.
  10. Kronikdj

Kronikdj New Member

AV Engineer
    Balance:
    156Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform
    Hello Buddy, and hi everyone, i'm here for the exact same reason as you Burto, i don't think that we are the first ones that have thought about this, to solve the issue on delivering power and signals to the rotating axes i have find a solution that is to use a specific kind of slipring. the issue i'm having is with the programming, basically guys i'm a noob in programming, i'm very good in ideas and build process but i really miss the electronic side that is slowing me down massively. i would like to talk more about this and maybe we can all collaborate to make it real?
  11. apointner

apointner Siddhartha

Balance:
    764Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    I've built a 2DOF gimbel and then quickly noticed that the false inputs are extremely strong while 90° bank. Even an integrated 6 DOF hexapod could not compensate these false inputs. The only solution was a very strong seatbelt tensioner which produces the missing vertical G acceleration with up to 100kg force (peak). This means that even when your in a loop, you are pressed into the seat at the peak. Unfortunately the seatbelt tensioner is not ideal for producing fine, fast and light Gs (e.g. in turbulences). Therefore I am currently integrating a crank actuator (approx. 10cm travelway) into the seat. Of course a 3DOF rail system (for heave, sway, surge) would be even better...but I don't know where to get the necessary space for it. However interesting subject anyway!