1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

FSX Flight Simulator looks so real with some addons

Discussion in 'Off Topic - All other stuff here' started by RaceRay, Nov 1, 2013.

1. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,838Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,966 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    They use the REX
    Real Environment Xtreme
    addon

2. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    RaceRay,
    YES - I've been a flight simmer for over 8 years and have all the add-ons - and it's just a phenomenal program now. Of course, Prepar3D, Version 2 is just about to be released, which will take it
    to another, better level.
    My ac platform that I'm finally starting to build, after two years, was going to be primarily for flight simming, but after all the race simmers here and InsideSimRacing, well, I've got the bug bad.
    Already that the Tmaster T-500 and other goodies - being ready for the sim platform.
    Thanks for posting this......I was afraid to mention FSX since most of our group are into sim racing.
  3. RaceRay

Balance:
    23,838Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,966 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    You dont have to be. There are other user like @Historiker or @prilad which are amazed by flight simulators like DCS:)
  4. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,158 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    True, flight sims are my first love. As soon as my new platform is done I will be spending, once more, most of my sim time in the air....literally ;)
  5. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,574Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    I initially built my simulator for flight. It was a dream I had since I played a f-16 combat game on a Commodore 64 back in 1984. It finally came to reality about three years ago. I had Lock-on Flaming Cliffs using LUA and FSX using SimConnect running using my own motion software. Then I ran across a version of InSim and OutSim for Live for Speed that I could use with my code. That changed my whole outlook of what "fun" on a motion simulator is! I found flight to be less and less exciting after awhile. The excitement of racing on my simulator has not yet worn off though. While my simulator was great for flight, as that is what is was designed for, I found it quickly getting destroyed when used as a racing sim. So now I've redesigned it for racing. However, while it still works for flight, it is not as smooth as it once was due to the increased speed required for a racing sim.

Don't forget titles like Megascenery Earth for photo realism and Fly Tampa for some highly detailed airports for FSX. I love FlyHongKong and FlyMaartens from them. Also its nice that a lot of add-ons for FSX actually increase the frame rate due to better coding methods.
  6. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    RaceRay, Historker,
    This is "good" to know.
    I'm going to use the new, yet released, RS1 Sim on top of my platform, and will have the ability to change from flight to racing very very quickly.
    Thanks so much guys,
    • Like Like x 1
  7. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    BlazinH,
    I've used the Lockheed-Martin Prepar3D for the past 18 months and won't go back to FSX....the new version is using new code, DX11 etc., which should be superb...
    After using GEX, UTX, and many others - I use the FTX-ORBX sceneries, EzDoc, REX-Overdirve, and several add-on payware aircraft such as the Quality Wings BA146 - PMDG 737NGX..
    My plans are to do both with my sim when finished... love flying and racing.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    I use my racing rig in flight stuff too, just need to make another frame to sit my seat mover in that suits the flight requirement, its almost a module sim, depending on what you put in front of it. but not as good as having the whole thing moving, screen and all, better for flight.
    Post more on Flight stuff we have quite a few new members coming in from those areas.
    Great to see.
  9. hooshang

hooshang Active Member

Balance:
    289Coins
    Ratings:
    +157 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, AC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    i am also a flight lover too and i wish we could have sub category
    for those member who love flight sim,cause motion simulating for flight
    is a lot different with race sim in terms of haw fast a motion sim should be?(course slower) ,how much increase degree of roll and pitch ?,adding yaw, movment of monitors,precision,adding instruments ...

Hooshang
    • Like Like x 1
  10. RaceRay

Balance:
    23,838Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,966 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Do you want to have a separate threa for example DIY Flight Motion Simulator or a generic forum like Flight Simulations and some sub forums like
    • Discussions,
    • Motion Simulator
    • Cockpits etc?
    If i have some specific requests i like to open more forums here. We can also open forums for very popular games like FSX, rFactor, Prepar3D, etc. p.p. but i am not sure where and how to structure them here. So i need your suggestions and ideas. The requirements are: Motion Simulator topics stay on top of the forum list. Below them we can publish more forums or subforums.
  11. AceOfSpies

AceOfSpies Living the Dream!

Balance:
    19,614Coins
    Ratings:
    +244 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK, Motion platform
    This is a good idea Rene, although we will have flight motion simulators and racing simulators, I think its fairly obvious that we also have "hybrid" simulators which will be used for both disciplines. It would be nice to differentiate between them and encourage "cross fertilisation" of ideas and innovation.

Mike
    • Like Like x 1
  12. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    A forum on Flight Sim and how we / we will / use our simulators for Flight and/or Racing - setups we will use since flight requires a much slower movements - Mike said it all - Hybrids.
    Thanks for your response and opportunity Rene.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,574Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    I have no doubts that anyone that has Prepar3D would not want to go back to FSX. After all, it was the professional version of FSX before Microsoft dropped development. Lockheed Martin has had five years since they bought the rights to further develop the product.

There are a couple of problems with Prepar3D however. The first one appears not to be as big of problem as it once was, that being that in the last couple of years since I last looked, the price has dropped drastically. A few years ago the price was almost $500.00 for a license. While still somewhat pricey, the price is now $200.00 per license. However, it appears there is a bigger problem for most of our members with using Prepar3D legally. When I was checking current pricing on their web site I saw this, “As provided in our End User License Agreement, the Prepar3D application is not to be used, offered, sold or distributed through markets or channels for use as a personal/consumer entertainment product.”

Edit: Actually, I don't think that Lockheed Martin really cares one way or the other if their product is used for "personal/consumer" use. If was Microsoft that required that statement as part of the agreement to sell them the rights to it. Microsoft didn't want to compete in the "personal/consumer" market with what once was their own product.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  14. hooshang

hooshang Active Member

Balance:
    289Coins
    Ratings:
    +157 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, AC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    @Rene
    i just talked about flight motion sim and no comment about other games
    and it would be much better all those member who are working on, and intrested in flight motion sim, introduce themselves and share their experience
    about software and hradwares they are using
    cause i think still some of the people donno who is working on what
    project(racing or flight i mean).
    a thread as you said(DIY Flight Motion Simulator)is good
    but with some sub forum for flight games software(fsx,xplane,...)
    and another sub forum for hardwares(controls,instruments,motion platform,...)
    regards
    Hooshang
  15. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,158 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hardware is going to be similar in almost all cases. What moves a flight platform could also be used to move a driving platform. I would hate to have one faction miss out on sharing important ideas and improvement because they did not look in the correct section.

I do like the idea of a flight section to discuss specific games though. Subforums for flight specific hardware would be great, for example; Controllers (HOTAS), gauge hardware, etc.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    BlazinH,
    A very large majority have moved to P3d.......YES, the EULA had to be put into place because of the MS rights.......BUT, IF you use P3d as a way of "training to fly" or/to keep fresh if you are a weekend
    RWP, then it's FINE..... Most of "us" P3d users purchase the "Academic License" for 60.00 US - comes with all the features as the "Developer Version" and "Professional Version (500.00) - you do have a
    very small "Academic Logo" which is very faint in the top right of screen........which you have to look hard to find.
    Things HAVE changes.................and with the new v2 version about to be released, it will be superb - DX11, coding that puts more load on the GPU and frees up the CPU....many, many new features.
  17. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,574Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    Thanks for this information. I guess this is how Lockheed is getting around their agreement with Microsoft if they are not verifying that people actually are in a flight school!

Edit: After researching I found that the academic version has nothing to do with flight school. However, you must be either in grades k-12 or be enrolled as an undergraduate student to legally use the academic license. Otherwise, unless you are a software developer, you must purchase the professional license. The professional license now cost $200.00. Members can do as they wish of course! As a community though, we just don't want it to sound like we are promoting anything that might be illegal.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  18. cthiggin

cthiggin Active Member

Self-Employed
    Balance:
    15,209Coins
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    BlazinH,
    First, I honor all EULA, well at least 95%......example porting the PMDG737NGX to Prepar3D. - I going to give you an address of the main site I have visited for many months. There have been many many
    threads on EULA, what license etc. Lockheed-Martin has released in the past that it is NOT for entertainment purposes, but for learning to fly, brushing up on instruments, ILS approaches, etc......
    Yes, it states that Academic is for k-12, but again, clarifications have been made - again no entertainment purposes, but learning etc. As I have stated earlier, some go with the monthly license at 9.95, but most go the Academic Route......and "use it as an educational program"............the EULA police have not come to our homes and seized anything yet, and I'm sure they won't.
    Large companies like Carendo, ORBX-FTX, RealEnvironment, and many others have their software with two installers, one for FSX and the other for P3D.....
    Go to the site and make up your mind. IF you're not comfortable like the rest of us, just stay with FSX.... btw, the majority of P3D users have deleted the FSX program and would never go back...it's just
    that much better, without ALL the tweaks we have had to do in the past just to get a decent flight....and again, v2 coming out shortly....well, me thinks you know how I feel about it....

Here's the site: http://forum.avsim.net/forum/436-the-prepar3d-general-forum/

Thanks and hopefully the avsim forum will help.

Tom
  19. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,574Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    Good one. :grin Like I said, members can do as they wish. I was just using the information as stated on Lockheed Martin's web site. No offense was intended.
  20. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,574Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    @cthiggin Have you ever used FlyTampa’s products or is there something better you know of?

Since we’ve been talking flight sims I do have to admit that I have missed flying from Princess Juliana International in St. Martins. Especially from a helicopter! All the yachts with the bikini babes laid out on deck, buzzing the beach patrol’s car as they make their rounds and the speedboats, trying to run down the birds flying around, and landing on the ships heliports! Umm, I feel like maybe its time to replace my steering wheel with my flight stick again for a while. Lol.
    • Like Like x 1