1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Frex vs. DIY - cost is near identical

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by dre99gsx, Nov 15, 2008.

1. dre99gsx

dre99gsx New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I did a quick sum of all my parts to create a FREX-like simulator:

$750 in brackets/screws/extruded tubing
    $900 for 2xSCN5 units
    $70 for 2xBall Ends for the SCN5s
    $100 for 6 Ball ends and rods for stabilization

I still have to account for the time to cut and mount everything. A FREX shipped to the US goes for $2400 or so. I'm still missing a few things (power supplies, cabling). The guys who create the SimConMotion package really do drive a good bargain. Although a DIY is great for a bargain, I just did not want some hack job simulator that would sit in my living room. It needs to at least look good, be compact, and last.

I'll update this regularly as I progress. Hopeing to jump on the bandwagon with X-sim2 and SCN5s.
  2. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    I have about $1300 in my design including everything that you mentioned, plus all of the adapters, cables, power supplies and vibration / shock mounts. I believe that it will outperform the original design that you you are taking about in every category except for ease of assembly. I will be posting pictures of it once it is complete and I have validated the concept.

For now, shop around a little. Every proce that you quoted is way to high except for the actuators.
  3. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    You could save alot by using a welded steel frame, instead of T-slotted aluminium extrusions with brackets.

Regards
    Christian
  4. dre99gsx

dre99gsx New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My goal is to make a portable unit that I can dismantle and travel with, yet be sturdy when assembled (hopefully with very few steps). I found the cheapest prices on Tslots 1.5 square that I could. There was just quite a bit of hardware involved. Most of the stuff is coming from 80/20Inc.
  5. nordisch

nordisch Member

Balance:
    61Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think you can`t compare Frex with DIY X-Sim ...
    DIY is our open source Product 8) for many applications
    ... FREX is shiges limited source Product :yes: for a handfull racing games.

We are not end-consumers.
  6. Mr Burns

Mr Burns New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Frex support is horrible, update come once in a blue moon for any new patch, a lot of stuff just doesn't work or will ever work. Of course you could hook it up to the x-sim software, but you will not get any help from frex.