1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Frex-like motion frame

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by viewtifuljob, May 16, 2007.

1. viewtifuljob

viewtifuljob New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi every X-simers !

I'm a brand new member of X-sim forum so I would like to introduce myself and also show you my motion project.
    So, I'm 30 and I live in France. I'm often playing on rFactor and sometimes on GTR². I started to race using a static cockpit 6 years ago with Gran turismo on PS2 wich has a pretty good dynamic. Of course, after driving on GTR, 2 years ago, nothing would never be the same so I kicked my PS2.

Last year, I 've found a video of Frex simmotion and it has changed my way of thinking about sim racing. At this moment, I started to build a motion frame.

Yet, mechanical is over and after trying to make my own software to manage my motion, I decided to look for another way because it was too complicated for my poor C++ knowledges …

Then, on RSC forum, Ego found my poor lost soul and he suggest me to have a look at X-sim.de. I was busy so it took some mounths but in the end, here I am !

You can find some pictures of my motion here but I really need some help to end it.

Photo_095.jpg
    Photo_087.jpg
    Photo_090.jpg

I've built a Frex-like frame, with 2 cylinders on the rear: 1 for left, 1 for right, and both for ac/de-celerate
    After lookin at X-sim, I've found a solution to manage it with an USB-card and some tuning in X-sim's software but this solution works only for those who use standard pneumatic valves (in French, we say: TOUT OU RIEN or in English: ALL OR NOTHING). These valves could be activated or not, that's all. My frame is equipped with 2 proportionnal pneumatic valves from Joucomatic. To explain how it works, you have 0 to 10V on input and the valve delivers 0 to 10 bars on output ! Of course, the way how these 2 parameters react could be tuned and modified easily with small micro-pots mounted on the valves.

So I need to get analog output from USB card but X-sim solution only drives the numeric outputs. So here is my first question:

Is there a way to get the analog outputs of the VM USB card working with X-sim's software ? (Even from 0 to 5V so I could convert it in 0 to 10V after)

Thank you for your support,

Viewtiful Job
  2. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Hi View J,

Nice to have you in our forum. Have been waiting for months to see you round here ;)

At first, let me help you to post your pictures.

Please have a look at this thread or email them to me and I place them for you.

regards
  3. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Here you go!

Your Cockpit is really amazing!

I noticed that you have changed your pneumatic cylinders to thinner ones. I assume the other ones have been to strong for your setup ;)

Anyway, I think you should start at first to get you system to rock with the software in IO Mode to get familiar with the software. There are some configs you have to make for your setup. After that you take the next hurdle with the proportional valves.

regards
  4. viewtifuljob

viewtifuljob New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

First, I don´t have changed my pneumatic cylinders to thinner ones. Maybe the older pics you´ve seen was not enough close.

Anyway, thank you for answering me. I will order a VM board very soon to familiarize myself with Xsim software. But I don´t want to change my valves for all-or-nothing ones only to test it. I will try to make it work like that for the moment and wait for an analogic version of Xsim.
    I´ll contact you through this forum as soon as I begin to test the VM on my frame. I hope it yill be in July because on June, I should work in my new house we´ve just bought with my wife. There is a lot of work to do inside.

See you

View J
  5. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Great!

I have been searching for the joucomatic prop valves. But I cannot find the price for them.

Could you tell me how much you paid for them?

regards
  6. viewtifuljob

viewtifuljob New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Happy to hear from you Christian !
    Well, the valves are from Joucomatic. It is called Sentronic has I remind.
    If you want, I can scan documentation and wiring diagram to introduce you these valves, let me know.
    Price is a little expensive, about 350€ for one valve.
    I´m about to order a VM card. After reading your PM, I can imagine the great motion it could be in the end. Still got some work anyway.

Thank you for your support

View J
  7. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    I would be pleased if you could introduce your setup.
    I assume that the rear movement for accelleration has to be caused by the body weight, because it seems that there are only 2 air hoses and 2 valves.
    Do the prop valves have a prop air-outtake or just an in-take. Because the air has to leave the cylinders as well.

To be honest. The price for them is really heavy.
    But I'm looking forward to see them in action ;)

regards

BTW: Search at Conrad.fr for article number 191003-62. You'll get a VM110 for 39Euros there.