1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Frex, Force Dynamics, Joyrider. Which is the best?

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by aikuo60, Jan 10, 2010.

1. aikuo60

aikuo60 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just want to do my own simulator, i saw a lot of project on this forum and i was wondering which is the best simulator (in technical point of view, sensation) between these simulators: Frex, Force Dynamics, Joyrider?

Thanks for your response.
  2. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    In this case money gives the answer... Force Dynamics of course!!

FD has the best characteristics from both Frex and Joyrider combined to an awesome but expensive machine...

Thanos
  3. fredspeed

fredspeed New Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    What is best then of Frex and Joyrider? My guess is Frex gives fast respons to ex. rumblelpads and dumps on a road in racing game, and joyrider gives the strongest g-force experience. Am I right?

Fred
  4. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes you are right.

If you aim for good fast shakes go with Frex... wont be so much realistic but will beat the hell out of you!

If you aim for more realistic representation of G-forces during acceleration-braking or turns go with Joyrider.

A middle solution doesn't exist yet but I assume that someone could make a joyrider a little bigger and mount in the inner cockpit a small frex motion system... lol I'd like to see that in action!!!

Thanos
  5. fredspeed

fredspeed New Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    And then you add some big bass-shakers, a big fan (for open wheelers) and someone should start thinking about a smell-simulation-hardware. Never been inside a gtr-car, but i guess it smells different than inside my livingroom :brows:
  6. aikuo60

aikuo60 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Joyrider and FD are based on the same type of simulation: simulate the Force with the gravity.
    For me the simulator Force Dynamics isn't very good, i saw some video it's a huge simulator, but the simulation aren't very good-> i preferred a joyrider with a little more speed.

I think Frex is very fast, and i like the concept of Frex, it will be better with the wheel and pedals moving with the seat. and yaw control obviously.
    AK
  7. smarterhometheater

smarterhometheater New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    As a new member, still trying to wrap my brain around all this great info, I have a few questions which fall nicely into this post:

I want to build a simulator which will be primarily for flight, will 2DOF do, or do I really need to step up to 3DOF? (I especially like the 6DOF, or HI6SIM)!

I am planning on modeling after the Thanos version of the Joyrider, I bought the JoyRider plans), and it seems very detailed and often imitated (a sincere form of flattery). Is there a better version, in anyone's opinion?

I also am keen on Motion Simulator Version III by Roland Van Roy, although that seems a [strike]little[/strike] LOT more in depth, again, suggestions?

Will definitely be using Automotive Wiper Motors, as these are readily available to me at my work, is there a downside versus a SCN5 or similar actuator?

That said, anytime I can use automotive parts will be a huge help, as it will greatly keep my costs down!

and lastly (for now.. :)) I am thinking of using a projector for the screen, either overhead, front projection, or rear projection. Has anyone had any experience or luck, good or bad, using a setup like that? I would like to maximize screen space and minimize weight.

Thanks for the input, This is really exciting!