1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

ForceStick DIY 55$ 2 DOF Motion Simulator

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Chewe, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Chewe

Chewe New Member

Balance:
    - 19Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The concept is to feel g-forces through cochlea ear instrument, hacked by helmet movements that come from two RC servos arms controlled by software telemmetry. Which means that your head will become a joystick being contolled by virtual enviorment simulations, like cars, copters, or anyother form of vehicle.

Hope X-Sim Community Enjoy it.

Special Thx to SirNoName

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=wzChfr901_k

http://sites.google.com/site/forcestick/Home
  2. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Looks interesting :thbup:

Though I understand the principle behind it, I hardly can believe that those thin sheet metal plates connected to the tiny servo arms are able to transfer lateral forces to the head/helmet without bending/braking.
    Are you sure that your construction will be able to stand 13kgf servos pr more?
    general.JPG

Anyway, good job :clap:

I would like to see an additional video which shows more of your construction in action, than LFS ingame sequences ;D

Are you able to power the servos proportional?

Regards
    Chrisitan
  3. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Chewe,

Looks like interesting project, but let me ask some questions about it.

Doesn't the rumbling of the servo steps pass thru the helmet making you feel like your head is ringing? (like cellphone pager vibration)

And as Christian asked, your servos are having proportional acceleration? I'm asking you this cause I know that the servos are designed to move in constant speed, regardless of the distance between two positions, whether is just 5 degrees or full 90 degrees...

I believe that you could achieve better results if you ripped off the little servo electronics from a standard servo, and connect their little motors in a small h-bridge and then connect both h-bridge and the existing potentiometer of the little servo to my AMC1.5 for position feedback 8)
    You will have then selectable acceleration to either direction and control over the angle of rotation... With the same cost!

Keep up the DIY spirit!!

Thanos :cheers:
  4. Chewe

Chewe New Member

Balance:
    - 19Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your suggestions!

Meccano pieces are rigid enough. They blend forces from servos through helmet quite nice and smooth so your head doesn't fall of.

As a fact, i'm quite scared with 13Kg Force. I will try first this mech configuration, although as you point maybe they are too heavy for this effort. Hope to fixit via cnc milling on next prototype. This one was finished on 20th august. Once it's done i will look forward improved electronics, althought any upgrades are wellcome. If you want to collaborate on this concept email me, and I will add you as web site developers.

Actually servo speed, even unproportional, have nice response, and are fast enough to get a new LOW COST approach to Motion Simulations.

All_U_need can be done.

Cheers

PD: Will try to do a new video with split screen when i get a cam. Right now i'm using a webcam and i have not much room to adapt view angle.
  5. Chewe

Chewe New Member

Balance:
    - 19Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've just updated HD 720p links.

You will find 16:9 frame that was cropped on youtube, albeit better resolution.

Cheers.