1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Force Feedback FlightSim Yoke

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by Spit40, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Spit40

Spit40 VR Flyer

Balance:
    2,881Coins
    Ratings:
    +198 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    I'm working on an idea to convert my yoke to force feedback. I'm starting with a nice sturdy steel and aluminium unit that's great apart from the awful spring loading.
    137356_0.jpg
    My idea is to use a pair of spare servo motors that I have lying around to hold position and provide resistance to movement. I hope to use the SimVibe upgrade to @value1 's AeroFlyFS2 plugin to get data on engine rumble and ground to build in a bit of shake of the yoke. What I can't get my head around though is how I will control the degree of resistance. I could vary the voltage perhaps but is there any other way?

The servos I have are 110kgcm and take a 24v input with control via (with the settings I usually use) 5v, Grnd & Signal. It has other modes I haven't used before as below:

asm-jumpers.jpg
    Any help gratefully received
    Phil
  2. T R Para

T R Para i make stuff up

Retired
    Balance:
    2,436Coins
    Ratings:
    +357 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    I imagine that you ran across this article but if not check it out.
    I have assembled most of the parts but not all.
    And I have yet to 3d print anything....:think
    However I have studied all the drawings/videos/instructions available...
    It uses the guts out of a Microsoft FFB 2 joysick.
    No need to interface with Simtools if you are using Xplane/FS/ or Prepar3d.
    XPforce software https://www.fsmissioneditor.com/

https://vrflightsim.wixsite.com/mysite/finished-stuff
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=14&v=NqdmvQMBWLo
  3. Spit40

Spit40 VR Flyer

Balance:
    2,881Coins
    Ratings:
    +198 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Thanks. I know the site but hadn't seen the video. I'm actually finding this whole project very daunting - to make it effective requires plenty of software too.
  4. T R Para

T R Para i make stuff up

Retired
    Balance:
    2,436Coins
    Ratings:
    +357 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    I couldn't agree more.. I have been working on the G-Seat for a week now and have yet to install my first paddle. My 2dof rig has gone really well. The G-Seat should finish it off. I do alright if I have some plans to work off of but there really are none for the seat. I am trying to replicate the commercial GS4 seat by carefully watching one YouTube video made by Sim Racing Garage where the host Barry had some nice close ups of the mechanisms.
    I hope to have the right side surge panel running tomorrow.
    The left side should go much quicker.

I guess the nice thing about the FFB Yoke is it is a working unit.
    No re inventing the wheel. There are other modifications to increase the force by factors of 4 which lends to its versatility to be used in other configurations.

Yes the DIY scene is a lot of work.
    But I appreciate the efforts involved a lot more too.
    Remember this is FUN !
    lol
    tp