1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

For sale [EU/Netherlands] 6DOF Concept motion SIM

Discussion in 'Marketspace - Marktplatz' started by ldr, Sep 26, 2021.

Tags:
  1. ldr

ldr New Member SimAxe Beta Tester Gold Contributor

Telecom engineer / developer
    Balance:
    186Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 6DOF
    Hi all,

I would like to sell my proof-of-concept 6DOF sim. It’s all custom built and was intended to start a business with. But plans changed, things took a different direction and now I would like to sell it.

Here are some videos of it:
    It has some serious power, both in electrical requirements, but also in the forces it can exert. It is not “consumer grade” and is potentially dangerous if you stick your fingers where they shouldn’t be! So I would like to sell it to someone knowledgeable about this all.

Each AC induction motor (1.5KW / 1500RPM) has nominal output torque of 10Nm, with 40:1 reduction ratio, enough to give max nominal torque on output of gearing of 360Nm. The arms are 200mm, so each of the six arms can hold about 180Kg nominally. The reduction ratio also results in a max speed of 0.6 RPS on the output of the gearing.

Power-wise, each individual VFD (variable frequency drive) may be connected through single- or three-phase 220/230VAC. A 10KVA auto-transformer provides 3x230V at max 25A. The input of the transformer runs at 3x380/400V by 16A. A custom cabinet houses din rail, all wiring and components from which the motors are connected. On input there is a 3 phase current meter, where it splits off to a Bell 24VDC PSU and a Siemens Sirius Power Contactor. The PSU feeds a controllino Mega PLC, an RPI4 and a USB hub. The contactor is controlled by the PLC. The PLC has 12 emergency stop switches connected (on gearing to arm - see below) so that an accidental overshoot of the arms stop the machine. One more e-stop switch is mounted to the cabinet itself. More e-stop switches can be connected to this PLC as well. The RPI4 is connected to the USB hub and controls six custom controller PCB’s that each connect to a VFD. The mentioned contactor has its output connected to a power distribution block that in turn feeds to six 3-phase EMI filters which in turn feed the six VFD’s.

There are six control boards, one connected to each VFD. Their responsibility is to control a VFD for enable, pulse, direction and for quadrature feedback from the VFD to the ESP32 microcontroller that’s housed on the pcb. The ESP32 is galvanically isolated from the VFD through optocouplers, on VFD side some ic’s convert the single-ended signaling to differential and vice-versa. On ESP32 side there’s also a unique identifier (000,001,010,011,100,101 resistors) and connection for two calibration switches. Each ESP32 runs software that can control one vfd/motor, calibrate it’s lower and upper bound and move to a position based on signaling over serial over USB coming from the central RPI4.

Each worm gear has a flange connected, each holding 4 mechanical switches. 2 on the lower- and 2 on the upper bound. On the arm connected to the output shaft a block is connected that can press the switches when these bounds are reached. The first switch reached is for calibration through the ESP32 controllers and a little further are switches used for emergency stop, taking all power off the system by means of the Controllino PLC and Siemens Contactor.

There are 3 left-sided and 3 right-sided worm gears, each with single output shaft of 65mm diameter. These gears are high quality, high precision drives with backlash down to 1 to 2 arc minute. Each worm gear has a 10mmthick laser-cut steel, 200mm long arm where M16 bolts carry the leg that is connected with an M20 chromolly ball-head joint. The joint has M20 to M16 high-angle reducers. Each leg has a load sensor in the middle for measurement purposes. At the top of each leg, another ball head joint and high angle reducer connects to the platform.

The platform is made from welded sheet metal and can carry a racing seat, steering wheel, pedals, etc.

The base onto which the worm gears are bolted is made out of steel square tube forming a triangle where the sides can be changed in length.

To be clear, things need to be finished, especially software-wise. The RPI4 runs a python script that exposes a CLI and a UDP socket taking commands from an external pc connected over ethernet. This script ‘multiplexes’ these commands to serial interfaces over USB to the individual ESP32 boards. Each ESP32 board also runs custom software (PlatformIO/Arduino project) taking commands for enable, calibration, acceleration, deceleration, moving to a certain position. Each controller board also has an OLED display showing current position, whether enabled or disabled. I will share the source code for everything of course. I am able to move the sim through Simtools sending simple position commands over UDP towards the RPI4.

It should technically be possible to replace the RPI4, usb and control boards by a Thanos or Open6DOF control board to make for a less “custom” solution :)

I want to sell everything as-is. I am willing to demo it of course, am quite proud of what is achieved so-far to be honest. But I cannot give any post-sale warranty on the components. It is sold as a prototype where buyer takes all responsibility. All the components are in as-good-as-new state though, the system has not run many hours in total.

Some links / part numbers (can provide more extensive list to interested buyer):
    I paid more than 15k euro (ex) for all the parts combined, my asking price is 6500 Euro (ex).

Given the weight it has to be picked up (in The Netherlands) or otherwise transport needs to be arranged at extra cost.