1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question float suspensionTravel & float cgHeight instead of float cgHeight only

Discussion in 'Off Topic - All other stuff here' started by Pit, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Pit

Pit - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Gold Contributor

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Also a question for our devs @value1 and @yobuddy . While "heave" allows only "one" DOF we know that a car has 4 ends and 4 wheels (mostly). That said "heave" is not only lifting the car from a central point, it is a very complex up and down. An important role plays the chassis and the suspension travel. As we know in a game like Assetto Corsa the suspension travel data is available for all 4 suspensions which allows me to ascertain that heave is limited and should be only one component in our calculation model. If I have a 4DOF at minimum I could reproduce all these suspension effects which should result in a better heave experience of the road texture.

Developing plugins in that direction would be a big step forward. Any comments are very welcome :)
  2. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    47,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,027 / 16 / -0
    You mean like a 4corner sim like a Dbox?
    If so, heave would still have to do the same on all legs, or the legs would just be kicking all over the place as they are out of sync.
    The way I see it, the chassis of the car is the feeling the diver is experiencing.
    So I think using the suspension travel data would be like having a seat on top of the suspension.
    Anyway, just some thoughts.
    Take care,
    yobuddy
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Pit

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Thank you buddy for your thoughts which confirms that I was not clear with my question. Do you mean that Roll and Pitch combined with heave is all we need? I know that the suspension travel is not to be meant to be reproduced 1:1 on the rig, instead of this the position of the suspension in relation to the car's height position.
  4. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    47,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,027 / 16 / -0
    I believe what we want is just heave relative to the car.
    I'm sure we could probably put something in a plugin to use the suspension travel to maybe enhance some road detail effect, but really the data should already be in the heave stream we already have. At least as it relates to the chassis of the car.
    I would probably go the route of lowing my heave max mins values a bit to see what i could pic up, but you have probably done that already.
    Take care @Pit :thumbs
    yobuddy
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  5. Pit

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    yes...as lower the min max settings are, as more details I can feel coming from the road texture but as a consequence of that I have to use smoothing and boundary filter. This is all fine. What I miss a little bit is the chassis behavior, or better said the elevation from the chassis caused by the wheels rolling over curbs and bumbs.

EDIT: Roll can also simulate this, but needs a lot of experience and compromises.
  6. value1

value1 Nerd SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Balance:
    14,463Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,318 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    Hi Pit
    The four suspensions move up and down independently, indeed.
    The four movements result in one single movement of the car seat.
    Depending on the accuracy of the physics model of the simulation, the four independent movements of the suspension will also result in one single heave as output in the simulation's heave data stream.
    You can now argue the accuracy of the physics model of various simulations and if suspension travel more accurately describes the feelings of the driver than the heave value. But for that we would need to study the exact physics model of the car and how it calculates the various output values. (e. g. "heave" might be calculated for the center of gravity rather than the driver)
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    Agree and dependent on the Sims design you would also have to be careful in how you then use that data to drive your rig.