1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Flight simulator with electric actuators

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by CW, Mar 3, 2007.

1. CW

CW Member

Jack of all
    Balance:
    14Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello all,
    I have built a flightsim and was using my own software, I then decided to make a carsim and have integrated the X-sim software into my flight simulator with electric actuators, will put some details on the webpage of wiring diagrams etc. The reason for the rebuild is that the sim is quite slow, ideal for a small aircraft or large airliner but not fast enough for a car sim I will use the three ram setup to make it 3 DOF and fully enclose it as well.
    http://homepages.woosh.co.nz/cwarner/flightsim.htm
  2. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,957 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    Hello CW,

looks very nice your simulator. Do you have some details about the used electric actuators? How fast are them, and what about the costs?

Kind regards
  3. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    I'm impressed that it took only 10 minutes to get your simulator working with the x-sim software!

I'm very interested in the electric actuators you want to use, too.

regards
  4. CW

CW Member

Jack of all
    Balance:
    14Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Gidday, look in my website under platform for details,check the videos out too. They are car power steering racks driving by wiper motors. maybe too slow for a race car but perfect for a small aircraft, however next step is to take all the weight off the platform (about 160 KG) and gear it up for speed to see if it can be fast enough for a car sim. diffinitely powerful enough, however only two DOF but not sure if X sim will do 3 DOF.
  5. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Just asked because your sketch
    [​IMG]
    dont seem to be powered by:
    They look more like hydraulics/pneumatics or ballscrew actuators.

And your announcement to use:

regards
  6. CW

CW Member

Jack of all
    Balance:
    14Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Excuse my drawing you will have to use your imagination on what power steering racks and wiper motors look like, anyway I have ditched that idea for now and are going to use 2 DOF with the same setup as I had before, (cables and pulleys, 2 racks)
  7. CW

CW Member

Jack of all
    Balance:
    14Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  8. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Good job!

looks very complex; but seems to work well.

I assume that you have just single speed. Because X-Sim supports multispeed only for pneumatics, right now.

regards
  9. CW

CW Member

Jack of all
    Balance:
    14Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Electric actuators vs pneumatic

Yes just single speed,I could change the speed by opening up more parallel port bits with a dc motor speed cntrol but now my one speed doesnt need to be any slower! I am going to build a more simple pneumatic system soon, just organising a compressor and valves already have the rams, I think the pneumatic system will be far superior and faster than my setup!
  10. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Hi,

Some news concerning your project?

regards