1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

First post: Simple idea for a 'FFB' sequential shifter

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by kuato, Sep 27, 2010.

1. kuato

kuato New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all,

I'm putting together a frex-like sequential shifter and plan to use the pcb from a USB dualshock game pad. The idea is to use one of the analog sticks from the game pad and wire the rumble motors to activate when the switch is engaged. So the feedback will be a short jolt on the shaft of the shifter (as opposed to a click from a momentary switch like the frex).

I've seen some adjustable interval relays online, but I'm not sure what would be the best solution to control the rumble motors. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
  2. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Do you want to control the rumble motor mechanically?
    You could use a single shot timer like a 555 with a transistor to turn on the motor. adjustable interval relays could also work.

OR: use 2 buttons, one for shifting and the other to turn on the motor. This way it will rumble as long as you hold the stick in the shift position.
    Offsetting their position a bit can change how it reacts also.

But if I were you, I would think about controlling it from X-Sim. That would give you a lot of possibilities!
  3. kuato

kuato New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Frakk. Yes, I would like the motors activated when you shift but I want to be able to play with the intensity/duration of the pulse. Excuse my ignorance, but would I need to create a new interface if I want to control the motors with x-sim?
  4. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    You can vary the intensity by changing the mechanical balance of the motor and by controlling power. Timing is fairly easy to do too.

You can either make a simple on/off output interface, or buy a more expensive controller.

Look on the Wiki for more information.