1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

First 2dof build...Brainstorm

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by mattsim25, Oct 4, 2011.

1. mattsim25

mattsim25 New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all,

After a couple weeks of reading this forum I have learned a lot and am starting to put together some ideas for my first build! I've decided to build a 2 DOF simulator but am not exactly sure which type to make yet. I'll mainly be using this for racing sims but also like flight sims. As of now I've narrowed it down between a wiper motor seat mover and a motion platform where the pedals and steering wheel would move. I do like the idea of the steering wheel and pedals attached to the moving platform. I think that would feel more realistic but I understand I would probably need something more powerful than wiper motors for that. Attached is a sketch of my 2 rough concepts along with what I think is the correct electrical components I'll need. I'd like to get some opinions on the seat mover vs platform mover. Also, is there a desired rpm for the wiper motors? Should these be ran at low or high speed. I've seen both argued. Let me know if you have any feedback/advise for me!

2dof.jpg

Thanks!
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello and welcome to our community, time to hi-jack the thread.
    2dof-simple-wipermotor-chair-by-ua6aak-t2512.html this member go from seat mover to frex to joyrider - screen attached.
    2dof-seat-mover-with-frex-attachment-bsft-t3435.html my new sim, seat mover with frex attachment.
    Wiper motors will shift it no worries, just a matter of weight balance.
    With most wiper motors, they usually spin between 50 and 60 rpm at high speed, or about 80mm per second on one down to up movement. This seems to be satisfactory more most of us, well, those of us whom cannot afford SCN5 actuators.
    Control boards, can be tronic, if you can find the parts and work out the circuit board, or the Pololu JRK 12v12 board. http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1393
    Have fun building.
    Cheers, David.
  3. mattsim25

mattsim25 New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok so now I'm thinking about using a seat mover where the pedals and and wheel are fixed. I'm just thinking for a first project it might be better to start here. However, I'm wondering for those of you that have used this type if this feels realistic. I'd still like to use wiper motors with maybe 100mm of stroke on either side. For the controller I'm planning on building an AMC with an H-Bridge and for steering wheel I was planning on the G25 or G27.
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello Brainstorm, sounds like a good idea, perhaps make the sim so a frex frame bolts in so as you have the option of putting the wheels and pedals on later, just a suggestion.
  5. mattsim25

mattsim25 New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Alright so I started my design and below is a picture of my progress so far. I've decided to build a seat mover style simulator that mounts to a fixed platform. I decided to start at the front of the platform and work my way back. The steering wheel mount is adjustable up/down, in/out and pivots about 30 degrees. My next goal will be to find a seat and decide how to mount it. I was looking at this seat from amazon but would be open to other suggestions as well. I've thought about going to the junkyard but my only concern with a standard car seat was how well it would hold you side to side without a seat belt.

http://www.amazon.com/OMP-Racing-ACCESS ... 839&sr=1-4

I'll have to build a frame to connect it to the base and attach to the wiper motor arms. Any suggestions for how to connect to the frame? Is this normally done with a u-joint? I've seen it done with a rubber mount but wasn't sure how well that would hold up.

Also, on the geometry of the seat moving arms (not sure what to call these) I'm trying to figure out the best angles. I was planning on starting with 15 degrees in both x and y directions. I thought maybe I saw a post a while back on the geometry but I haven't been able to find it since.

I'll keep posting my progress and thanks in advance for any feedback.

Matt

SIM1.JPG
  6. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello Matt, good to see the project going forward. I like the adjustable steering - pedal arrangement. Good for any size user.
    The seat you have pictured is a good seat. And would more than hold you. I am not really sure about a standard car seat holding you in. Then again if the seat has some support on the side you may be ok. Most guys do not have seat belts in their set ups to hold them in, more for looks, I think. You may find that you move yourself around to hold yourself it the seat anyway. I have basic car-racing seats on mine and I do not find myself being thrown out. Thats just me though. http://img151.imagevenue.com/img.php?im ... _131lo.JPG
    Mounting the seat can be done with a box style frame with the seat mounted on it. A car uni joint is the preferred option as you have 2 movements, left and right, up and down, with no side to side slide. The best balance point would be just under the seat centre. Although have a browse at other projects to see the balance point.
    I used a 16mm thick piece of mdf sheet screwed under the steel frame to drill and bolt the unit joint to.
    Without hijacking the thread too much http://img134.imagevenue.com/img.php?im ... _572lo.JPG I connected mine at the base of the seat, however connecting them at shoulder height would be good and less strain on the motors.
    The wiper motor arms seem to have good movement, somewhere about 15 deg of angle. Most guys seem to leave what ever arm is on usually. With a seat mover it may be better to have short sharp motion as opposed to big movements. Then again, you can shorten the motion in x-sim, to save modifying the lever arms.
    Hopefully that helps to some extent.
    Have fun designing
    Cheers, David.
  7. jomeezyLCM

jomeezyLCM New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think this is on topic, so I shouldn't be hijacking.

Want to add a question to this post. I'm planning a 2dof wiper motor seat mover build (mouthful :) ), but I'm undecided on the mounting of the motors. I see some of you guys have it mounted under the seat to the back, behind the seat with a shoulder mount, and under the seat to the front. Looking at the videos the shoulder mount design seems to have sharp and faster movements than the other designs. Am I right in thinking this, or does it have to do with the profiles that was used? For example I see the seat jump when up-shifting for the shoulder design videos, but for the behind and under not so much so. I'm a bit short on space so the behind and under would be perfect, cause it's shorter by about a foot (judging from the photos). But I wouldn't sacrifice sharpness and speed for that.

Can any of you guys with experience help me with this decision?