1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Dual 40amp motor drivers with integrated Arduino and inputs.

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by Jake from RealRobots, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Jake from RealRobots

Jake from RealRobots New Member

Balance:
    77Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Hi guys, am new to the community and just wanted to see if this was something that anyone would find interesting, I designed them to drive industrial lifts (which use 2 x 24VDC actuators) so they can drive 2 motors up to 40v in both directions and with full high frequency speed control. They've got two N-channel mosfets for driving additional DC loads, original use case is a 24v buzzer and an electromagnetic latch. It's also got 8 inputs exposed that can take inputs at up to 24v.

The motor drivers are 4 x BTN8982TA which are the modern version of the obsolete BTS7960's that you see on the 43A IBT-2 units that are pretty popular these days despite their shorting heat sink issues.

It's driven by an Atmega328 (same as the Arduino Uno) so it's pretty accessible to code, I didn't include USB circuitry on it but there's an exposed serial header for one of those ubiquitous FTDI USB->UART converters. The one (known) cockup I made in the design was accidentally flipping the ICSP header which is why the pins are sticking out the bottom rather than the much more logical direction of up.

Original run was a pretty short one of only a few dozen units that I hand built and I'm tossing up whether to do a full production run. The heat sink is way too big but was the best fit I could find off the shelf without shelling out for custom aluminium.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Jake from RealRobots

Balance:
    77Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    oops, screwed up posting the images
    IMG_20210129_155829.jpg IMG_20210129_155842.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,890Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,083 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
  4. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    how much are they ?
  5. Jake from RealRobots

Balance:
    77Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Mechatronics Engineer, just finished automating the production line for an insect protein farm and am doing contract work now. Also teach electronics to kids in Hong Kong.

I think you won't see these drivers show up in cheap, mass production boards for a while yet. Not until the cheap stocks of the obsolete BTS7960 start to run out. The BTN8982TA is just the newer, slightly more efficient version from the same mob.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  6. Jake from RealRobots

Balance:
    77Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    I did these on contract to a company that does industrial lifts at AU$85 each. I've got 4 left from that run if anyone does want them at the same price. I'm hoping to get some interest together to do a bigger run and outsource the assembly so I can make them cheaper next time round (and not have to assemble the buggers myself).