1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

DIY Universal Joint in less than 5 mins for less than £3.50!

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by bigtalltim, Oct 31, 2010.

1. bigtalltim

bigtalltim New Member

Balance:
    361Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hi to all! :hi:

I am mid build with my simulator project, but thought I would share this - it is so cheap and effective that I thought others could benefit from it!

There are many ways of improvising universal joints, but not many of them can be made in less than 5 minutes and for less than £3.50 8)

DSC01680.JPG
    DSC01681.JPG
    DSC01682.JPG
    DSC01683.JPG
    DSC01684.JPG
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj1FQ4L9Dzk

You can stick it together with a weld if you like, but if you have a very tight fit (as I do) by ensuring that your angle grinder disc is the same thickness as the hinge, even solder is enough! - remember that the joint will always be under compression when in use

I intend to weld the hinge into the ends of two bars (similar to the slots in wood in the demo video) but you could clamp between two pieces of wood or metal if you prefer - or even screw it onto a block on the frame if you dont mind losing some of the range of motion.

Enjoy! :cheers:

Tim
  2. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    It is crucial for most applications that an U-joint has no play, as one millimeter play in the joint, causes several centimeters movement in some distance.

I appreciate your effort, but solid automotive steering column U-joints with no play are quite cheap and available via the junkjard or ebay.

Example:
    http://cgi.ebay.de/Saab-9000-CS-Kreuzge ... 3f045a6f47

Regards
  3. bigtalltim

bigtalltim New Member

Balance:
    361Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for your advice - you make a fair comment, but as a joiner, I can tell you that it is just as critical with a fire door weighing several hundred pounds that there is no play in the joint...

There is little (less than 0.5 millimetre) play in this joint, and that will result in less than 0.5cm deviation over the maximum distance in my build...

As I understand it, this would be way more critical for guys who use actuators as lateral play would allow an actuator shaft to twist and be damaged... not a problem for me with wiper motors, but again, there is less than one millimetre lateral play here

I have looked at steering column U-joints on ebay already... they usually go for about £20-£30 :( the local scrap yards are looking for about the same - maybe that is just a UK thing... thank you so much for the example link - I may have to import! :D

Going by the videos in the post 2dof simple wipermotor chair by ua6aak which also features a joint based on door hinges, it will be good enough at least to get me started while I save up for the real thing :D

Once again, thanks for your comments - any advice from you guys is superb!

Regards

Tim
  4. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Yes, that's right.

Keep us posted
    Regards
  5. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Good thinking there Tim!

I have to agree with egoexpress though.. Those hinges will wear out rapidly in the material itself, the pressed metal sheets will bend and loosen over time and you will have to replace them every so often. Using a sturdier door hinge with bearings will also run you in the $30 range.

An other thing is that you vertically separate the longitudinal and lateral pivot points. This may not be a problem, but it could easily cause false movements if the geometry doesn't compensate for it.

Ebay is your friend! :)

Please continue posting when you get all your parts and start using this joint! It will be worth the testing to see how long it lasts! In the meanwhile you can look for cheap U-joints too.