1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

DIY Motion Sim for Game Console

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by johnakar, Oct 13, 2008.

1. johnakar

johnakar Member

Balance:
    6Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hallo to all sim fans of this forum. I am quite new to the racing simulation and right now I am trying to gather info to start a DIY sim project. I have the help of an experienced autoamation engineer and together we are thinking of making something close to Frex. However we would like to be able to enjoy it not only on PC but also on PS3 with GT5. Any help to this aspect concerning console - hardware interface would be greatly appreciated. :brows:

I hope I am not aiming to the sky here.
  2. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Sorry, X-Sim supports PC only.

Regards
    Christian
  3. johnakar

johnakar Member

Balance:
    6Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Christian and thank you for replying. Don't get me wrong - I just want to make something software indepented based on the G25 in order to be able to enjoy it on either PC or Game console. From your experience do you think that it could be possible to control a pair of actuators by taking advantage of the G25's wheel and pedals - signal? I know that this will not exactly be a simulation but rather a user-driven motion. Do you think is worth trying?

Thank again and sorry for being so off-topic but I believe from what I read here that you guys are the best to ask for advice on this kind of job.

Regards ,
    John
  4. johnakar

johnakar Member

Balance:
    6Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for your comments and advice. I believe that todays PC's with massive multi-core proccessing power and vast GPU's abilities are far ahead from the game consoles in terms of productivity, creativity and entertainment. I own a couple like most of us do. But it also happens to have a game console for it's own advantages like f/e the ease of use.

My itentions are very far from making any commercial product. First af all I am just an individual looking for fun with - in my personal opinion - what seems to be a great driving sim like GT and that's all. Second my technical skills regarding programming or even electronics are rather poor. Just looking for piece of advice in this respect.

Thank you for your response.

PS I would be happy to share my experience with the X-sim community once this idea comes in life.
  5. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Following option is the only one I know, to get some usable data out of a FF input device. It's an operation system independent hardware solution, and should work with PS3 as well, as it captures the FF information directly from the the input device.

http://simprojects.nl/hacking_a_force_f ... _stick.htm

But this is nothing seriously comparable with X-Sim controlling.

Regards
    Christian
  6. johnakar

johnakar Member

Balance:
    6Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Much appreciated Egoexpress, I will check it out.
  7. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Dear sirs,

This was an interesting thread. I wonder how that guy got on...

I have seen playstation 3 running windows xp but it is slow....

Ps3 does have the core cpu I THINK.

humm.... Sirnoname suggested sending signals to pc over LAN and using a hacking system.

I hope this idea can work one day. I think everyone, not just pc people should be able to enjoy motion feel.

Kind Regards.

But I like pc more now.