1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

DIY LVDT position Sensor

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by wannabeaflyer, Dec 6, 2009.

1. wannabeaflyer

wannabeaflyer Active Member

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Hi Guys as alway on the look out for some type of solution to position sensing and came across this http://hackscape.wordpress.com/ have not read all the details through yet but it seemed to show promise regarding my problem of position feedback on my motion platform but thought someone here may find a use or improve on it 8)
  2. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    It is a neat idea. There is really not much to improve it, maybe experimenting with different materials and sizes. If you are looking for a linear position feedback than I think it is great. You would need some external signal conditioning and sine wave generating circuit.

IMO there are simpler and cheaper ways to do this. If you want angular feedback, a simple pot will be the best choice. If you want linear feedback, just use a multiturn pot with a small gear (or rubber wheel) and a cilinder that rotates it.

For a better signal there are also encoders. For the amount of effort vs the LVDT, encoders are the way to go Linear or Angular.
  3. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Hi Frank you wre pot on about extra circuitry , was hoping to use something like a PIC micro to provide the oscillating frequency and decode the AC to DC for output .. i understand the building blocks of this tecjmology but still got a ways to go before im actually using it ... in my sims case my problem is the fact that my actuator arm only moves through 180° max and getting the gearing to maximise a 10 turm pot is causing me grief hence the brainsorm about LVDT's .. i have a book MIKESFLIGHTDECK diy Instruments and he covers some of the circuitry so may use Diptarce and my CNC router to make it :-0 cheers for the input always appreciated 8)
  4. riton

riton Active Member

Balance:
    1,006Coins
    Ratings:
    +103 / 3 / -0
  5. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Hi Riton Thanks for the tip , Im now wondering how you use an accelerometer to determine position info , am aware of the device but not had any experiance of its use in position sensing certainly appeals to me as i like the Plug/play aspect of the chips setup .. had a look at the links and am sure i have a wingman controller somewhere so could use that as a test . have you got any info as to how you used/Connected it in your setup :) Thanks
  6. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    If you know acceleration, you can take the derivative of that and have speed. You take the derivative of speed, you get displacement. It won't be as accurate as an optical encoder tho :)