1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

DIY FFB flight stick discussion on DCS World forum

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by Tehrawk, Jun 2, 2021.

1. Tehrawk

Tehrawk New Member

Balance:
    168Coins
    Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    This might be of interest to some people.

There is a thread discussing a couple of different options for a DIY FFB flight stick on the DCS World forums.

First one is a from scratch solution. Using an Odrive and some brushless motors.
    https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/246873-honey-i-developed-ffb-joystick-diy/#comments
    Plans for this design can be found here
    https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/24687...-joystick-diy/?do=findComment&comment=4606935

Another stick here. Developed independently from the first. Also using brushless motors
    https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/24687...-joystick-diy/?do=findComment&comment=4455585

There is also some talk of modifying Microsoft Force Feedback 2 sticks. But you can find much better info on doing that on the following pages.
    https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/104434-giving-your-sided-winder-force-feedback-2-steroids/
    http://www.simprojects.nl/ms_siderwinder_ff2_hack.htm
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. PeterW

PeterW alias Wickie

Dipl. Ing. Mb (FH)
    Balance:
    1,609Coins
    Ratings:
    +361 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi @Tehrawk !
    Thank you sooooo much for sharing the links here! Last year I started FFB rudder pedals. As a motor controller I used the "moteus" bldc servo controller. Everything was working well, but the forces have been little too low for Rudder pedals and I didnt like the noise comming from the motor and controller. So currently I use the pedals without FFB. The Odrive solution shown in the link is a new chance - so thanks again!
    Wickie
  3. Tehrawk

Tehrawk New Member

Balance:
    168Coins
    Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. PeterW

PeterW alias Wickie

Dipl. Ing. Mb (FH)
    Balance:
    1,609Coins
    Ratings:
    +361 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Ah..yes..this was also a source of inspiration for my rudder pedals. Here in the assembly stage some months ago. It works so good in my sim.
    IMG-20201127-WA0002.jpeg
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Tehrawk

Tehrawk New Member

Balance:
    168Coins
    Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    That looks really nice. How did you machine the metal?
  6. PeterW

PeterW alias Wickie

Dipl. Ing. Mb (FH)
    Balance:
    1,609Coins
    Ratings:
    +361 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    I have acces to the Makerspace in Garching nearby Munich, Germany. They have a waterjet-cutter.
    But for a maybe future version I would order the parts in one of the online CNC shops. At the end this will be the cheaper solution...
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Thanks for posting. Save's me some questions and research! Just need more power and accuracy than the good old msffb2 can give even with triple power.
  8. ahoenksiluman

ahoenksiluman Member

Balance:
    89Coins
    Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    in that forum, everyone building with bldc and odrive, that is very expensive.

i just wanna build with brushed motor and cheap motor driver just like my steering wheel...do someone have some clue what firmware and software i can use or maybe there is some good starting point for me..??
  9. Tehrawk

Tehrawk New Member

Balance:
    168Coins
    Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    There could be a solution, using hoverboard motors. Then hacking the firmware on the PCB that comes with the hoverboard.

https://github.com/EmanuelFeru/hoverboard-firmware-hack-FOC
  10. ahoenksiluman

ahoenksiluman Member

Balance:
    89Coins
    Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    but they are directly using odrive as HID + motor driver...

usually i build regular steering wheel using separated microcontroller and motor driver (mmos2014)

maybe if they implamented like that, other user can easily copy and using that...
  11. Tehrawk

Tehrawk New Member

Balance:
    168Coins
    Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    • Like Like x 1
  12. ahoenksiluman

ahoenksiluman Member

Balance:
    89Coins
    Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
  13. Tehrawk

Tehrawk New Member

Balance:
    168Coins
    Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    They are talking about re-terminating motors to the Wye(star) pattern, to give 1.7x more torque.

What is this witchcraft!

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/24687...-joystick-diy/?do=findComment&comment=4716651

[​IMG]

Delta is more prominent, because it is easier to manufacture? Plus hobbyist's are usually looking for more RPM, rather than torque.

Edit:- Looks pretty straight forward. You could do this to a hoverboard motor, and get 17 Nm out of it.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021