1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Daves Flight sim (Modified JoyRider)

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by adochoa, Feb 17, 2009.

1. adochoa

adochoa New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here is my project I began about 6 months ago. These are outdated shots already and I will post new ones soon.

At this stage, most of the construction is temporarily pieced together with bolts/clamps so it looks much cleaner now. I still have supports to add for safety just in case my welds fail.

The tubing is remnants from an old high school bleacher that I was able to claim, and the same high school allowed me to use their TIG welder, so the frame construction was very cheap.

I tried to get dimensions based off of the joyrider plans along with production version pictures of mydreamflyer.

Suggestions welcome!

Attached Files:

2. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    The inner frame that carries the seat seems to be too weak. You should replace the hole sheet metal stripes with a welded frame. Actually it seems to bend without anyone sitting in it already.

Regards
    Christian
  3. adochoa

adochoa New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yes, I agree. The final product will be the same aluminum welded frame as the rest.

thanks!
  4. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    I like this construction, as it is easier to take place than in the joyrider.

As I have an AMC controller left over now that I have SCN5s for my racing sim, and as well a welding machine, I think I will build something similar someday. I have bought an automatic welding helmet even. That makes welding alot easier for noobs, as you have both hands free :D

But for now I am going to finish my SCN5 setup first.

Have fun with your project, and keep uns updated with alot of pics :thbup:

Regards
  5. adochoa

adochoa New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I'm a little clumsy so I wanted easy in/out access.

If I had to do it over again, I would use a thin walled steel tube (but the aluminum was free) since it would have been easier to weld or I could have bent some sections.

Also, I am not quite happy with the dimensions - I think I made it too wide for example. But, when I am done I can post drawings of what I did and what I would have done if I had known better.

-Dave
  6. knob2001

knob2001 Member

Balance:
    24Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi!...

:cheers:
    Seems something very promising...
    Egoexpress is right... you have to do it stronger, my PVC tubes bend like hell while heavy movements. The LCD, the iron structure, the seat... everything adds weight to the total, and probably you will need some counterweight (that adds again more weight...)

;D The only little flaw i see on our joyriders is the access. Once you get in, you will never get out without do some contortion work... last time i almost kill myself with my foot around my neck.

I would really like to see how you upgrade your joyrider, and share all the experience with everybody!!!

Whatever you need, you know where i am (two topics near from you!)

Regars
    Oscar
  7. adochoa

adochoa New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello!

It's been a while since I've updated. I've been busy with other projects, but just got back into this!

So far:
    simulator is 80% complete - I'll add pictures soon
    AMC and hbridge functioning!
    Case designed and built with my new CNC mill (other projects that I mentioned)

enjoy my video and suggestions welcome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeqWEUoXpq8
    Dave