1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Current thoughts on Odrive + BLDC hobby motors?

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by theoptimisticcynic, Apr 18, 2020.

1. theoptimisticcynic

theoptimisticcynic New Member

Balance:
    102Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Long time lurker here finally hoping to get started after a bit more planning.
    I have been bouncing in between a couple different solutions and currently think I want to build a 2DOF + TL with the possibility of going to a compact 6DOF configuration one day. I'm leaning toward linear actuators, but may used a gear box depending on the direction I go. Ultimately going relatively compact.

I previously stumbled on Odrive while researching motor controllers and was excited to see that a few people built sims with it but made comments about challenges during setup. The Odrive looks really good on paper and there seems to be an active community building around it.

I am looking at sim building as an opportunity to learn something new but I don't have unlimited time to troubleshoot with family obligations etc. I'm not afraid of a challenge, but don't want to bit off so much that I never get going. I'm pretty technically competent (Ph.D. Engineer but non-practicing) on the physical and computer side, but I have little electronics experience.

So, with all that said, I'm wondering what is the current perspective on Odrive + lower cost BLDC motors?
    Are these a good alternative to the Sabertooth + worm gear setups?
    I am aware of Thanos' setups but leaning toward the Odrive because seem more general purpose and I can apply skills learned more easily toward other projects (possibly poor assumption).

Hoping that @PeterW or @SilentChill might weigh in on how stable the Odrive solution is and easy setup might be. I saw silentChill's configuration video and it all seems pretty straightforwad to so wondering if there is something lurking underneath.
  2. PeterW

PeterW alias Wickie

Dipl. Ing. Mb (FH)
    Balance:
    1,609Coins
    Ratings:
    +361 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi @theoptimisticcynic
    Wellcome here on the board!
    1. For using Odrive, in my opinion you need or have to learn the following skills:
    Understanding how the Odrive firmware works, what the commands in Odrivetool do, how to change parameters, how to flash a firmware, you need to be patient and tolerant to remaining bugs in Odrive, you should have an little electronic understanding......

2. For using Odrive in my opinion you could have the following problems (like in my case):
    Electromagnetic interference with encoder csbles, bugs in Odrive where you cant undertand why not yet solved by the developer after long time, flashing with dfu, flashing in general for noobs like me, proplems at higher speed due to the low inductance of hobby bldcs, loosing firmware and need to reflash, too short manual to really understand things, using hardware endstops didnt work in my case ( now I use software endstops with a firmware from a friend).

Now the advantages of Odrive:
    Extreme high performance
    Extreme good efficiency together with the bldcs
    The components nearly stay cold during use
    Simple and little wiring.
    Small motors and electronic.
    You learn a lot during setting up the whole System,

So after having explained my exprience with Odrive i can ony recommend it to 50/50.
    Its really up to your knowledge and the time you want to spend.
    For me personel I love challenges and learning something new-so it was a win.

Wickie
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. theoptimisticcynic

theoptimisticcynic New Member

Balance:
    102Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Thanks a ton, that really confirms my impressions from reading through posts. It feels like there is a lot of potential for the platform.

The bugs are what concerns me. I do want to have confidence that once I am 'finished' that the system will be solid and I won't show up one day intending to drive and have to spend tons of time troubleshooting.

I too love to learn and thought this might be a good way to explore motion/motor controls. I'm still debating but sounds like it may be worth playing around with Odrive a bit at least.

Best regards,
    -B
  4. PeterW

PeterW alias Wickie

Dipl. Ing. Mb (FH)
    Balance:
    1,609Coins
    Ratings:
    +361 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    You should talk with " Wetmelon" in the odrive community or on discord which motor he can recommend to avoid the error resulting from low inductance at high speed.....in my opinion this is a critical point!
    Wickie
    • Like Like x 1