1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Current limited H bridge for FF wheel

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by gazz, Oct 12, 2012.

1. gazz

gazz Member

Balance:
    105Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    I've finally got some more parts for my bus simulator project,

ffw column.jpg
    The wheel is from a MAN truck, is about 19 inches diameter, and weighs about as much as my complete force GT wheel unit,

It will be attached to a car's electric power steering column, plan being to connect the power steering motor to a big H bridge, and run it from the guts of the GT wheel (connecting the motor's wires backwards, so it opposes turning rather than helping)

ffw motor.jpg
    Thing is, the motor is about 4 and a half inches long, 3 inches diameter, and apparently is rated for at least 60 amps at 12 volts,
    ideal for turning the wheels under a ton of engine and car, but a little much for providing feedback forces to a wheel me thinks, especialy with the inertia of the big wheel, i'd spend more time in A&E than playing the simulator :crutch:

i note that the psu for the GT wheel i have is 0.75a at 24v, going on that i'd guess i want 5 amps or so max on my wheel???

Any suggestions to what i need to buy/make to get this thing working?
    The column does have a torque sensor on it, this is how it senses how much and far to assist turning, but not sure if that could be incorporated to form a sort of closed feedback loop???

I am planning to put the force GT's movement sensor (a rotary encoder i think) on a 2:1 gear attatched to the bottom of the colums shaft, as i want to get 6 turns lock to lock from the wheel, as realistic on the buses, the 2:1 gearing will mean the encoder see's the normal 3 turns lock to lock, and thus is not a problem to the software that can only handle 900 degrees of rotation,
    • Like Like x 1
  2. 1Wheel

1Wheel New Member

Balance:
    272Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    very interesting idea .