1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom Converting an XBox 360 Controller into a Helicopter Collective

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by MarkusB, Jun 30, 2021.

1. MarkusB

MarkusB Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    4,212Coins
    Ratings:
    +594 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    After getting the FlyInside Bell 47 helicopter, I immediately decided that this fantastic vehicle deserves a more dedicated controller than my plane-oriented HOTAS.
    I checked the huge amount of spare parts lying around in my workshop and found nearly everything I needed for building a helicopter collective, including an old XBox 360 controller.
    001 SpareParts.jpg

I used an aluminium tube with a diameter of 30mm as shaft and an aluminium square profile of 60x60 mm as control box.
    002 AluProfiles.jpg

I cut the tube into two parts: a lower fixed one and an upper rotatable one. For the control box I cut an 80 mm piece from the square profile.
    I planned to mount the two tube parts as well as the 80 mm square profile onto a 16 mm threaded rod. Fortunately I found two 16 mm ball bearings with an outer diameter that exactly matches the inner tube diameter. Besides I had some coupling elements that I could use to fix the lower tube part to the threaded rod.
    003 CutParts.jpg

The upper, rotatable tube part is meant for engine control, which means that I somehow had to connect it to a potentiometer. My approach was to fix a module 1 steel cog to the end of the tube.
    004 Cog.jpg 005 CogMounted.jpg

Onto the opposite side of the tube I mounted a 2 mm metal screw as a rotation limit.
    006 RotationLimit2.jpg

I drilled some holes into the control box for switches and one for the 16 mm threaded rod. After this I painted it black.
    007 SwitchBoxRaw.jpg 008 SwitchBoxPainted.jpg

Eight switches, one potentiometer and one vibration motor needed a bunch of wires. My choice was an old TV Scart cable.
    009 ScartCable.jpg 010 SwitchBoxWired01.jpg 011 SwitchBoxWired2.jpg

The next picture shows the XBox board. I desoldered the potentiometers with a desoldering pump and soldered wires to the contacts. Before doing this, I had to scratch away the black layer from the contacts.
    012 XboxBoard.jpg

I placed all the electronics stuff into an aluminium case and also mounted the collective lever to this box. The lever axis is an 8 mm threaded rod.
    The next picture shows all these innards: (1) is one of the XBox potentiometers, which I connected with a piece of perforated board (2) to the lever axes (3). The two 8 mm nuts (3) provide the required friction for holding the lever in any position.
    In the upper right corner you see the second potentiometer. I don't use it and just connected it in order to provide the correct electical resistance to the board. However, at some later point in time I may want to use it as basis for a cyclic control.
    014 ControllerBox1.jpg 015 ControllerBox2.jpg

For the engine control, i. e. the rotatable handle on the upper part of the collective, I used a different 10k potentiometer that I inserted into the control box and connected to the handle via two cogs.
    017 Finished3.jpg

On the next two pictures you can see the mechanical rotation limits of the handle.
    016 Finished2.jpg 019 RotationLimit.jpg

Also the collective lever has two mechanical limits, which I made from steel brackets (see (1) and (2) in the following picture).
    018 HandleLimit.jpg

And here you can see the complete device. The wooden base already has four 6 mm screws on its bottom side for mounting it to the rig. The two potentiometers on the electronics case are also connected to the XBox board. We will see if I can use them for something.
    013 Finished1.jpg 016 Finished2.jpg

I already tested my new collective with a controller testing app, and all axis and switches work perfectly.

The next step will be to mount it onto my rig, configure it in MSFS 2020, and take off with the Bell 47.
    Hopefully I will find time for this soon.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  2. KydDynoMyte

KydDynoMyte Fool's Gold Contributor

Balance:
    92Coins
    Ratings:
    +28 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    That's much nicer than the last time I saw someone do something like this.

cbhotas.jpg

• Like Like x 1