1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Complete Sim Tools Noob

Discussion in 'SimTools DIY Version' started by marky000, Aug 23, 2014.

1. marky000

marky000 New Member

Balance:
    306Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Hey all,

I have read the FAQs etc but am basically stuck getting a simple DC motor to move using the Quickstart guide : http://www.xsimulator.net/simtools-quickstart/

A bit of background, I am using a Freetronics Eleven (Arduino Uno clone) and an Arduino Motor Shield R3 seen here: http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoMotorShieldR3

Using the Arduino IDE software and this guidehttp://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/DueMotorShieldDC,
    I have been able to make the attached DC motor twitch and move a little, which is all I am looking for at this stage.

However, when I try to replicate the setup in Sim Tools using this walk-through,http://www.xsimulator.net/simtools-quickstart/, I am unable to get any response from the motor. I assume I am feeding some info wrong into the Game Engine but I have followed the guide closely.

Under Axis Assigments:
    - I loaded the default profile.
    - I used a preset of "SimForce GT".

Under Interface Settings:
    - I used "SER" as the interface.
    - I selected the correct Com Port.
    - Populated the rest of the info using this image: http://www.xsimulator.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/ge-arduino-ser.jpg

Under Output testing:
    - I cicked on "turn on"
    - I chose Axis Output.
    - I moved the sliders but no response seen.

Any ideas what I might have missed here?
  2. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,391Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Oh no that quickstart ? lol.
    Without using one of the three proven motion codes here you probably wont even be reading the data with the Ard.
  3. marky000

marky000 New Member

Balance:
    306Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    yes I figured that one out LOL, from the duplicate post in another forum since no one seemed to be responding here. It all makes sense now (the penny dropped so to speak). I was missing the point that DOF had to translate to Axis which meant that Simtools had to talk to Arduino IDE program.

Are these "3 proven motion codes" freely available and published?

P.S. I think someone needs to make a small edit to the Quick Start Guide explaining what I now have learned. It kind of reads that Simtools Game Engine is an alternative to the Arduino IDE etc rather than being an extra link in the chain to making it all happen.
  4. Outatime

Outatime New Member

Balance:
    215Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Hello,
    have you found a working solution ?

EDIT: Forget it please. I have mixed things up and have done a mistake.
    I will open up a new thread for my problem.

I have done all the steps you did.
    I use Arduino UNO clone with the code of RacingMat, set to Mode2 for China H-Bridge.

Motors are working with SMC3 software with PWMmax over 60

But the motors are not working on Output Testing with Game Engine (SimTools 1.3).
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  5. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,391Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Agree if you wish to use the SMC3 use @RufusDufus code as racingmat wont run in the utility. Opps.
    • Funny Funny x 1