1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Compact 2-4 DOF

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Redcap, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Redcap

Redcap New Member

Balance:
    - 3Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all,

For last few months I was thinking about building my very own motion platform...but so far it was in kind of dream realm (mainly due to lack of dedicated space) ... now I kind of come to conclusion: it's about time to wake up and finally do the thing.

So I've sat down, done some initial reading, compared a bunch of the different approaches and I think I'm about to be ready to fail for the first time ... I mean ... to start my first prototype ;)

The plan is to begin with standard 2dof setup and gradually develop toward sway and if Nm gods allows also heave. The main limitation I have is the current apartment setup ... whatever I will build it needs to be compact and should avoid drawing insane amount of watts.

Load wise: it needs to pull 90 kg of me in VR + some casual controllers setup.

That being said now I need someone like you to check if my initial thoughts makes any sense.

Motors:

Still looking around but for now there are two models that I find appealing that are currently available:

Transtecno EC 180.240 with worm gear 50:1 (24V s1:180W 10,8A 19Nm, s2: 250W 15A 26 Nm, 60 RPM)
    Transtecno EC 250.240 with worm gear 50:1 (24V s1:250W 15A 26NM, s2: 350W 20.5A 38 Nm, 60 RPM)

EC 180.240 seem more reasonable but I'm not fully convinced it will allow to handle the heave if I ever decide to have one.

EC 250.240 while quite potent are a bit more expensive and if I ever decide to progress toward 6dof they will draw around 2000W.

Power supply:

One per motor MeanWell-RSP-500-24 or MeanWell-ERPF-400-24

Drivers:

While Sabertooth seems to be preferred drivers to go ... cost-wise they are not sensible option in my country.

IBT-2 looks tempting but I see that many people complain about them after a while of the usage.

JRK G2 seems solid choice ... available...kind of the plug&play ... but on the expensive side of things ... do they have any of advantages over Pololu G2 High-Power Motor Driver 18v25 used with arduino ... besides of obvious simplicity of setup?

So... does it make sense so far?