1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

can someone explain me ''position complete signal''?

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by waldo wautelet, Jan 14, 2019.

1. waldo wautelet

waldo wautelet You found me...

Balance:
    165Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    I have a question, I find this signal that is named ''position complete signal'' on every picture of motor drivers where there is a use of the encoder, I was wondering what it means and if it has anything to do with PID?
    ( We find this with AC servo drivers. )
    I was also wondering why @Grigory doesn't use this signal... he says that everything is managed by the driver of the servo but how am I sure that the driver does that?

Thanks a lot for helping me out!

Attached Files:

2. Grigory

Grigory Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    212Coins
    Ratings:
    +304 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, 6DOF
    Well, there is a chain of software and equipment between the game and the actuators. Something in this chain controls the positioning of the actuators. And you always can ask "how am I sure that this thing does what it is supposed to do?"

You probably can get the drivers report whether they completed positioning back to the software. But why would you want that? If you have some additional logic in your software to somehow process this information and act accordingly, then fine, that would make some sense. Otherwise -- it would be useless.

Moreover, in practice you do not wait for completion of previously commanded movement. You pass new targets to the drivers whenever they are available from the game.