1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

can someone better my understanding of 6 dof?

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by hannibal, Jul 25, 2021.

1. hannibal

hannibal Active Member

Balance:
    4,489Coins
    Ratings:
    +297 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    over a year later.. im still trying to understand tuning.
    i have a 6 dof hexapod.
    for the basic 3d (roll pitch and yaw) i think i have a descent understanding of what i want to achieve with these forces. i understand i can go by angular position or angular acceleration. for the most part i feel like its easy to relate degrees and angles. One can tune the 6 dof to respond relatively to a finite range..

but when it comes to the remaining forces of heave sway and surge, i still have a lot of questions.. particularly range. for pitch, i know i can work around 0-40 degrees and have the 6 dof react one to one or have the 6 dof translate 0-90 degree in game to 0-40 degrees as an example. but for heave.. im just wondering what is ideal range, for heave..

if anyone has any good examples how to figure out heave sway and surge as it relates to planes and cars,
    i would appreciate it.
  2. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    a flight sim needs lots of actuation distances

a driving sim needs fast movement in time with the sim program

consider how far you travel up and down when driving a car
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. hannibal

hannibal Active Member

Balance:
    4,489Coins
    Ratings:
    +297 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    i kinda wonder about that... is there like a rule of thumb for 6dof users? obviously everyone will have their way of tuning...

maybe like +/- 30mm heave range for cars.. 70mm for planes in the air?
  4. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    What type of sim do you have ?
  5. hannibal

hannibal Active Member

Balance:
    4,489Coins
    Ratings:
    +297 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    i have a 6dof with actuators. im trying to get my DCS world and msfs2020 profiles setup before i start messing with assetto corsa
  6. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    what type is it ? rotary or linear actuators ?

what is the power of the motors ?

what is the actuation length

pics please