1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Building Compact Seat Mover 2dof

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Pojo, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Pojo

Pojo Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    68Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I'm working on planning and building a seat mover to attach to my current 8020 rig. I have a decent idea of how to begin, but I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions along the way. Here is my planned purchases, if anybody could let me know if they see any problems I'd appreciate it.

Motors PGSAW 50:1 ~ $260 shipped
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/GEAR-MOTOR...ULL-FEED-SIMULATOR-75-80RPM-50-1/371596157992

Power Supply 400W 33A LED power supply ~$60

Can I get away with one power supply if I go up to a 600w 50A?

Arduino Uno (already have)
    Sabertooh 3x32 ~ $120

U-Joint ~65
    2x
    1x

Hall Sensor ~30
    2x https://www.ttiinc.com/content/ttii...?mfrShortname=B/I&partsNumber=6127V1A180L.5FS

Tie Rod Ends ~15
    https://www.ebay.com/i/401330510340?chn=ps

I plan to use a base of plywood coated with truck bed spray liner for bottom and where seat willl attach. Later I'll replace that with 8020 frame.

Thanks for your input.
  2. Pojo

Balance:
    68Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
  3. Pojo

Balance:
    68Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I've started receiving parts in the mail. Motors came today, I've got the hall sensors, u-joints and power supplies. I'm waiting for the controllers and I can start getting to the real work. I've gone to Home Depot and bought a flat 1/2 steel bar to cut my level arms from and also a 1/2 L-bend piece to cut the motor brackets. Is there a good picture of how to wire up the LED power supplies?

Thanks,
  4. Pojo

Balance:
    68Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I've got most of the parts now, just waiting on the tie rod ends, and have started putting pieces together to get a rough idea of where I want everything. I drilled the mounting holes in the bracket and the hole in CTC lever for the 12mm bolt I'm using for the engine shaft. I'm using 3/4 plywood as a base and have a box made of plywood and 2x4 to get the seat height up over the motors. Hoping to get the motors wired up and start doing a little testing tomorrow. 20190325_182655.jpg 20190325_203406.jpg 20190325_203416.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Pojo

Balance:
    68Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Worked on doing some testing tonight trying to test the wiring and make sure things work. I have run into a few issues though. First issue is that I have no reverse for the motor. In SCM3 manual mode I can run the motor forward, but reverse does nothing. I'm using a arduino with monster moto shield currently wired to run one motor per shield so maybe I have some wire wrong? Second issue is that when running forward the motor stops on it's own after a short period of time. I'm not sure if that is the design of SMC3, perhaps something I have set wrong or the monster shield not being able to continually supply the power required by the motor. Any suggestions are welcome, below are my settings in SCM3 The wiring is kinda rigged up now via a bread board and some alligator clips, so maybe some of the issue is just a loose connection also? 20190326_223801.jpg 20190326_223822.jpg

Fpid/1
    KP = 500
    KI = 0
    Kd = 20
    KS = 1
    Fpwm = 20kHz
    PWMin = 10
    PWMax = 205
    PWMrev = 200
    Max Limits = 100
    Clip Input = 150
    Deadzone = 0

Thanks for the help!
  6. Pojo

Balance:
    68Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I wired another monster up and all the problems were solved. Not sure if it's a bad monster or perhaps I messed up the wiring. Either way I was able to get the motor wired up and get it moving tonight. Tomorrow I'll solder the connections and get the other motor wired.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Pojo

Balance:
    68Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Changed over to using a Sabertooth today, which my original plan, hopefully one 400w power supply will be enough to power both motors. I thought I could save a few buck with the monster shields, but in the end I just want it to work. I've got the wires soldered onto the hall sensors and got both motors moving tonight. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the tie rods on and get the seat platform and do some additional testing. 20190330_015740.jpg 20190330_015756.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  8. F1Nut

F1Nut New Member

Balance:
    271Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Nice work, looks nice and clean. I'd like to hear how it goes with the timber box under the seat mount in terms of strength and stability (or longevity).
  9. Pojo

Balance:
    68Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Just about there now I think. 20190402_225905.jpg I got my lever arms welded to the bolts today by a nice old drag racer and then drilled holes for the cotter pins and loaded up Project Cars 2 and Grid 2 for a little bit a testing. Both motors are moving the arms in what seems to be the correct way. I ended up having to order a new seat as the seat I previously had, a passenger seat from a Honda Fit, would not work well on the motion platform. I'm supposed to get the seat, tomorrow as well as a few 100watt 1.5ohm resistors that I'll wire up to the Sabertooth. I'm very hopeful that I'll get to take a ride tomorrow evening. I still need to figure out how I'm going to house the electronics. I've got a couple 120mm fans I"m going to shoot at em, thought maybe I'd just get some thin sheet metal and build two walls and a roof and have a fan at either side.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Pojo

Balance:
    68Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I've got my project complete, now I'm trying to figure out how to tune it. Here is a video of it in action.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Marc Lindgren

Marc Lindgren New Member

R & D
    Balance:
    70Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I really like that approach for mounting the pots to the motor shafts, I've never seen that before. I may rethink how I planned to do mine, thanks.
  12. yellofella

yellofella Member

builder
    Balance:
    743Coins
    Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SimforceGT
    nice job so far. have you considered using gears to increase the resolution from the pots. your setup only uses max 180 degrees of pot travel, if you geared them 2:1 you would use all 360 degrees of the pot and increase resolution/pressision by 50%. my sim is geared 4:1 so a full turn of the pot gives me 45 degrees either side of the center point (where most of the linear travel will be on a radius) to a full turn of the pot ie 90 degrees of motor travel to 360 degrees of pot travel using all 1024 points of resolution in the 8 bit controller. my gears are slightly more or less than 4:1 as my pots are only 300 degrees. ive added a pic of my old 2:1 wiper moter setup. hope this helps IMG_0007.JPG
    • Like Like x 1