1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Build a G-Seat to an existing motion platform.

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Dani, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Dani

Dani New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    105Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Hi all, i joined this site some years ago when first looking to make a DIY motionplatform. Some time after that I backed YAW VR kickstarter and get one of their units.

I owned it for two years now and I enjoy it a lot, with helo flights the most.
    I find it funny with jets and cars but I find it lack something and I even get sick with racing sims as movement didnt seem ok to my brain.

Recently I got aware of severalapproaches of g-seat DIY projects some forum users had succesfully build and after read about them I ended pulling the trigger and will try to make my own g-seat inspired in their work..

I will start with pneumatic g-seat for heave and sway ans my intention is to finish with a g-seat thet uses a motor for sway using padles, and pneumatic for heave and suge, adding belt tension to suge frontal acceleration.

I,m completly noob on arduino but I will try to use smc3 code for my project, I had decided to use motors as I have 2 spares at home so I can invest my budget in other parts.

I will list my parts and future purchases:

Owned/Bought:
    -2 100w YAW VR motors with a optical encoder (I think I will have to skip it and go with a normal pot as I doubt they work with smc3 code)
    -3x Cytron md13s motor driver(As yaw motors use cytron md13s controllers I bought 3 of them).
    -Arduino uno r3
    -24v 360w power supply
    -4x pneumatic wedge
    -4 point harness
    -Several wood and mdf borads and ribbons for prototipe seat and paddles
    -Some spare V-Slot profiles (2020 2040) from other projects

To buy:
    -4x pneumatic wedge
    -3x hinge (maybe more depending on final design)
    -1 motor.
    -Belt tensioner (have to investigate deeper on that topic)

I uploaded smc3 to arduino and waiting my cutron boards to arrive to test them with my motors and a test board.
    First steps after that will be try if optical encoders on engine work with smc3. I doubt but worth try.
    Once I have done that I will start triing to add pneumatic wedges to sides and bottom for sway and heave effects.

I will decide next steps after first tests.

Mi intention is to make a g seat for 2dof seat mover without yaw axis or limited one but I have a 220 slip ring to add to it as a side project if this one is successful.

Will update my progress here and post questions here or relevant thread as I come with them
  2. MarkusB

MarkusB Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    4,212Coins
    Ratings:
    +594 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Did I understand you correctly that you want to disassemble your YawVR rig in order to use its motors for your new rig?

I could imagine that - from a budget perspective - it would be better to sell your YawVR rig in one piece (assumed that it still works) and then spend some of the money for new, powerful motors.
  3. Dani

Balance:
    105Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Sorry maybe I didnt explain it clearly.
    I want to mount the seat ON my yaw vr to use in conjunctiin with it.
    I have 2 spare motors because they overhead inside yaw and YAW VR sent me 2 replacements.
    Original motors work well under not so heavy loads and in worst case scenario I can buy 2 ebay similar ones.

I intend to keep my yaw 1 at least till my yaw 2 comes. And probably will keep it anywais to use it with friends
  4. MarkusB

MarkusB Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    4,212Coins
    Ratings:
    +594 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Ah, ok. I did not understand that these are spare motors.
    • Old Old x 1
  5. SimPotato

SimPotato Member

Designer
    Balance:
    479Coins
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Post your idea sketches & Images of components including the Yaw VR for useful feedback.
  6. Dani

Balance:
    105Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Sure will do! I only had installed smc3 by now. Once I have a bit more time I will take some pics on yaw internals and components. I still thinking about surge mechanism as probably first I try something with pneumatic wedges to keep weight as low as I can, but my original idea is to make paddles at some point even if its for YAW 2.